The following standards and requirements apply to group and blanket disability insurance policy forms and manual rates:
(1) Specified disease group insurance shall generate at least a seventy-five percent loss ratio regardless of the size of the group.
(2) Group disability insurance, other than specified disease insurance, as to which the insureds pay all or substantially all of the premium shall generate loss ratios no lower than those set forth in the following table.
Number of Certificate Holders at Issue, Renewal or Rerating
Minimum Overall Loss Ratio
9 or less
10 to 24
25 to 49
50 to 99
100 or more
(3) Group disability policy forms, other than for specified disease insurance, for issue to single employers insuring less than one hundred lives shall generate loss ratios no lower than those set forth in subsection (2) of this section for groups of the same size.
(4) The calculating period may vary with the benefit and premium provisions. The company may be required to demonstrate the reasonableness of the calculating period chosen by the actuary responsible for the premium calculations.
(5) A request for a rate increase submitted at the end of the calculating period shall include a comparison of the actual to the expected loss ratios and shall employ any accumulation of reserves in the determination of rates for the selected calculating period and account for the maintenance of such reserves for future needs. The request for the rate increase shall be further documented by the expected loss ratio for the new calculating period.
(6) A request for a rate increase submitted during the calculating period shall include a comparison of the actual to the expected loss ratios, a demonstration of any contributions to or support from the reserves, and shall account for the maintenance of such reserves for future needs. If the experience justifies a premium increase it shall be deemed that the calculating period has prematurely been brought to an end. The rate increase shall further be documented by the expected loss ratio for the next calculating period.
(7) The commissioner may approve a series of two or three smaller rate increases in lieu of one larger increase. These should be calculated to reduce the lapses and antiselection that often result from large rate increases. A demonstration of such calculations, whether for a single rate increase or a series of smaller rate increases, satisfactory to the commissioner, shall be attached to the filing.
(8) Companies shall review their experience periodically and file appropriate rate revisions in a timely manner to reduce the necessity of later filing of exceptionally large rate increases.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 83-14-002 (Order R 83-1), § 284-60-060, filed 6/23/83, effective 9/1/83.]