(1) Chiropractic doctors shall employ only commission registered technicians to operate X-ray equipment.
(2) Application. An X-ray technician may apply for registration by submitting to the commission:
(a) Proof of satisfactory completion of a course of classroom instruction of at least forty-eight hours which has been approved by the commission in accordance with subsection (4) of this section; and
(b) Verification of passing a proficiency examination in radiologic technology, which is approved by the commission. A passing grade shall be seventy-five percent or a standardized score approved by the commission. If the applicant fails the initial examination, the applicant may reapply to take the examination one additional time without additional classroom instruction. If the applicant fails a second examination, the applicant shall complete an additional sixteen hours of classroom instruction prior to reapplying for a third examination.
(3) Exceptions. An applicant who holds a current active registration, license, or certification from a national certifying agency or other governmental licensing agency whose standards for registration, licensure or certification are equal to or exceed the standards under these rules may register without examination.
(4) Course approval. An individual may request commission approval of a course of classroom instruction for X-ray technicians by submitting the following information to the commission no later than ninety days prior to the first day of instruction:
(a) An outline of the course of instruction, which shall include:
(i) Physics and equipment;
(ii) Principles of radiographic exposure;
(iii) Radiation protection;
(iv) Anatomy and physiology; and
(v) Radiographic positioning and procedures.
(b) Proficiency examination;
(c) Verification that the course instructor has on-campus or postgraduate faculty status in the field of radiology with a commission approved chiropractic college; and
(d) Any other information deemed necessary by the commission to make a determination.
(5) Continuing education. Registered chiropractic X-ray technicians must demonstrate completion of six hours of continuing education as provided in chapter 246-12
WAC, Part 7.
The commission approves continuing education of subject matter listed in subsection (4) of this section. Prior approval of continuing education programs is not required by the commission.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.280. 98-05-060, § 246-808-215, filed 2/13/98, effective 3/16/98. Statutory Authority: Chapter 18.25 RCW. 96-16-074, § 246-808-215, filed 8/6/96, effective 9/6/96.]