(1) To receive approval, an ambulatory surgical facility must meet the following standards in addition to applicable review criteria in WAC 246-310-210
, and 246-310-240
(2) The area to be used to plan for operating rooms and ambulatory surgical facilities is the secondary health services planning area.
(3) Secondary health services planning areas are: San Juan, Whatcom, East Skagit, Whidbey-Fidalgo, Western North Olympic, East Clallam, East Jefferson, North Snohomish, Central Snohomish, East Snohomish, Southwest Snohomish, Kitsap, North King, East King, Central King, Southwest King, Southeast King, Central Pierce, West Pierce, East Pierce, Mason, West Grays Harbor, Southeast Grays Harbor, Thurston, North Pacific, South Pacific, West Lewis, East Lewis, Cowlitz-Wahkiakum-Skamania, Clark, West Klickitat, East Klickitat, Okanogan, Chelan-Douglas, Grant, Kittitas, Yakima, Benton-Franklin, Ferry, North Stevens, North Pend Oreille, South Stevens, South Pend Oreille, Southwest Lincoln, Central Lincoln, Spokane, Southwest Adams, Central Adams, Central Whitman, East Whitman, Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield, and Asotin.
(4) Outpatient operating rooms should ordinarily not be approved in planning areas where the total number of operating rooms available for both inpatient and outpatient surgery exceeds the area need.
(5) When a need exists in planning areas for additional outpatient operating room capacity, preference shall be given to dedicated outpatient operating rooms.
(6) An ambulatory surgical facility shall have a minimum of two operating rooms.
(7) Ambulatory surgical facilities shall document and provide assurances of implementation of policies to provide access to individuals unable to pay consistent with charity care levels provided by hospitals affected by the proposed ambulatory surgical facility. The amount of an ambulatory surgical facility's annual revenue utilized to finance charity care shall be at least equal to or greater than the average percentage of total patient revenue, other than medicare or medicaid, that affected hospitals in the planning area utilized to provide charity care in the last available reporting year.
(8) The need for operating rooms will be determined using the method identified in subsection (9) of this section.
(9) Operating room need in a planning area shall be determined using the following method:
(a) Existing capacity.
(i) Assume the annual capacity of one operating room located in a hospital and not dedicated to outpatient surgery is ninety-four thousand two hundred fifty minutes. This is derived from scheduling forty-four hours per week, fifty-one weeks per year (allowing for five weekday holidays), a fifteen percent loss for preparation and clean-up time, and fifteen percent time loss to allow schedule flexibility. The resulting seventy percent productive time is comparable to the previously operating hospital commission's last definition of "billing minutes" which is the time lapse from administration of anesthesia until surgery is completed.
(ii) Assume the annual capacity of one operating room dedicated to ambulatory surgery is sixty-eight thousand eight hundred fifty minutes. The derivation is the same as (a)(i) of this subsection except for twenty-five percent loss for prep/clean-up time and scheduling is for a thirty-seven and one-half hour week. Divide the capacity minutes by the average minutes per outpatient surgery (see (a)(vii) of this subsection). Where survey data are unavailable, assume fifty minutes per outpatient surgery, resulting in a capacity for one thousand three hundred seventy-seven outpatient surgeries per room per year.
(iii) Calculate the total annual capacity (in number of surgeries) of all dedicated outpatient operating rooms in the area.
(iv) Calculate the total annual capacity (in number of minutes) of the remaining inpatient and outpatient operating rooms in the area, including dedicated specialized rooms except for twenty-four hour dedicated emergency rooms. When dedicated emergency operating rooms are excluded, emergency or minutes should also be excluded when calculating the need in an area. Exclude cystoscopic and other special purpose rooms (e.g., open heart surgery) and delivery rooms.
(b) Future need.
(i) Project number of inpatient and outpatient surgeries performed within the hospital planning area for the third year of operation. This shall be based on the current number of surgeries adjusted for forecasted growth in the population served and may be adjusted for trends in surgeries per capita.
(ii) Subtract the capacity of dedicated outpatient operating rooms from the forecasted number of outpatient surgeries. The difference continues into the calculation of (b)(iv) of this subsection.
(iii) Determine the average time per inpatient and outpatient surgery in the planning area. Where data are unavailable, assume one hundred minutes per inpatient and fifty minutes per outpatient surgery. This excludes preparation and cleanup time and is comparable to "billing minutes."
(iv) Calculate the sum of inpatient and remaining outpatient (from (b)(ii) of this subsection) operating room time needed in the third year of operation.
(c) Net need.
(i) If (b)(iv) of this subsection is less than (a)(iv) of this subsection, divide their difference by ninety-four thousand two hundred fifty minutes to obtain the area's surplus of operating rooms used for both inpatient and outpatient surgery.
(ii) If (b)(iv) of this subsection is greater than (a)(iv) of this subsection, subtract (a)(iv) of this subsection from the inpatient component of (b)(iv) of this subsection and divide by ninety-four thousand two hundred fifty minutes to obtain the area's shortage of inpatient operating rooms. Divide the outpatient component of (b)(iv) of this subsection by sixty-eight thousand eight hundred fifty to obtain the area's shortage of dedicated outpatient operating rooms.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.38.135 and 70.38.919. 92-02-018 (Order 224), § 246-310-270, filed 12/23/91, effective 1/23/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.040. 91-02-049 (Order 121), recodified as § 246-310-270, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.38.919. 90-16-058 (Order 073), § 248-19-700, filed 7/27/90, effective 8/27/90.]