(1) Agency efforts to involve other agencies and the public in the SEPA process should be commensurate with the type and scope of the environmental document.
(2) Consulted agencies have a responsibility to respond in a timely and specific manner to requests for comments (WAC 197-11-545
, and 197-11-724
(3) Threshold determinations.
(a) Agencies shall send DNSs to other agencies with jurisdiction, if any, as required by WAC 197-11-340
(2) and 197-11-355
(b) For DNSs issued under WAC 197-11-340
(2), agencies shall provide public notice under WAC 197-11-510
and receive comments on the DNS for fourteen days.
(b) Agencies may use other reasonable methods to inform agencies and the public, such as those indicated in WAC 197-11-410
(a) Agencies shall invite comments on and circulate DEISs as required by WAC 197-11-455
(b) The commenting period shall be thirty days unless extended by the lead agency under WAC 197-11-455
(c) Agencies shall comment and respond as stated in this part. This meets the act's formal consultation and comment requirement in RCW 43.21C.030
(6) Public hearings and meetings.
(a) Public hearings or meetings may be held (WAC 197-11-535
). Notice of such public hearings shall be given under WAC 197-11-510
and may be combined with other agency notice.
(b) In conjunction with the requirements of WAC 197-11-510
, notice of public hearings shall be published no later than ten days before the hearing. For nonproject proposals, notice of the public hearing shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the general area where the lead agency has its principal offices. For nonproject proposals having a regional or statewide applicability, copies of the notice shall be given to the Olympia bureaus of the Associated Press and United Press International.
Agencies shall circulate FEISs as required by WAC 197-11-460
(a) Notice for and circulation of draft and final SEISs shall be done in the same manner as other draft and final EISs.
(b) When a DNS is issued after a DS has been withdrawn (WAC 197-11-360
(4)), agencies shall give notice under WAC 197-11-510
and receive comments for fourteen days.
(c) An addendum need not be circulated unless required under WAC 197-11-625
Notice provisions for appeals are in WAC 197-11-680
(10) Agencies may circulate any other environmental documents for the purpose of providing information or seeking comment, as an agency deems appropriate.
(11) In addition to any required notice or circulation, agencies may use any other reasonable methods, to inform agencies and the public that environmental documents are available or that hearings will occur.
(12) Agencies may combine SEPA notices with other agency notices. However, the SEPA information must be identifiable.
[Statutory Authority: 1995 c 347 (ESHB 1724) and RCW 43.21C.110
. WSR 97-21-030 (Order 95-16), § 197-11-502, filed 10/10/97, effective 11/10/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.21C.110
. WSR 84-05-020 (Order DE 83-39), § 197-11-502, filed 2/10/84, effective 4/4/84.]