For purposes of unemployment insurance taxes only:
(1) Wages. Includes all payments for personal services performed by an employee for an employer including the cash value of all remuneration paid in any medium other than cash including salaries, commissions, vacation pay, dismissal wages, bonuses and reasonable value of board, rent, housing, lodging, payments in kind, tips, and any other similar advantage received from the individual's employer or directly with respect to work for the employer.
(2) Wages paid.
Includes wages that are actually received by an individual and wages that are contractually due but are not paid because the employer refuses or is unable to make such payment. (See RCW 50.24.015
(3) Wages constructively paid. Those wages set aside, by mutual agreement of both parties (employer and employee) to be paid at a later date. They are reported for tax purposes when actually paid to the employee. The wages set aside can have no substantial limitation or restriction as to the time or manner or condition upon which payment is to be made. In addition the ability to draw on the wages must be within the control and disposition of the employee.
(4) Deductions. The amount(s) any federal or state law requires an employer to deduct from the wages of an individual in its employ; and to pay the amount deducted to the federal or state government, or any of their political subdivisions. The amount deducted will be considered wages and to have been paid to the individual at the time of the deduction. Other amounts deducted from the wages of an individual by an employer also constitute wages paid to the individual at the time of the deduction.
(5) Nominal stipends. A stipend is considered nominal when it does not exceed six hundred dollars per year.
(6) Contributions. Title 50 RCW generally uses the term "contributions" to refer to unemployment taxes. Title 192 WAC generally uses the term "unemployment taxes" to refer to contributions. The two terms are treated interchangeably unless the context provides otherwise.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 50.12.010
and 50.12.040. WSR 07-23-127, § 192-100-500, filed 11/21/07, effective 1/1/08. Statutory Authority: Chapters 34.05
RCW and RCW 50.12.010
. WSR 99-20-125, § 192-100-500, filed 10/6/99, effective 11/6/99.]