To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Career-level certification for law enforcement and corrections personnel.
(1) For purposes herein:
(a) The term "first-level supervisory position" means a position above operational level for which commensurate pay is authorized and is occupied by an individual who, in the upward chain of command, principally is responsible for the direct supervision of nonsupervisory employees of an agency or is subject to assignment of such responsibilities;
(b) The term "middle-management position" means a position between a first-level supervisory position and an executive position and for which commensurate pay is authorized and is occupied by an individual who, in the upward chain of command, principally is responsible for the direct supervision of supervisory employees of an agency and/or command duties.
(2) Any law enforcement officer or corrections employee successfully completing the training requirements specified hereinafter shall be eligible to apply to the Washington state criminal justice training commission for issuance of the certification for which such requirements are prescribed. Such certification is intended to acknowledge the recipient's accomplishment of training and experience responsive to the specific functions and responsibilities of a first-level supervisory or middle management position. It is not intended to supplant an effective promotional or selection process or preclude consideration of a broad scope of qualifying factors within such process.
(3) The minimum requirements of supervisory certification are set forth as follows:
(a) Possession of a basic law enforcement or corrections certificate or basic equivalency certificate of the training commission or basic certificate of the Washington state patrol; and
(b) Satisfactory completion of twelve months of service as a first-level supervisor; and
(c) Successful completion of the first level supervision course provided by the training commission; and
(d) Successful completion of at least 40 additional elective training hours intended or approved for the first-level supervisory position.
(4) The minimum requirements for middle management certification are set forth as follows:
(a) Satisfactory completion of twelve months of service as a middle manager; and
(b) Possession of the supervisory certificate of the training commission; and
(c) Successful completion of a middle management course provided by the training commission; and
(d) Successful completion of at least 40 additional elective training hours intended or approved for the middle management position.
(5) Education and training programs successfully completed by the applicant and not sponsored or otherwise approved by the training commission may be considered in any determination of satisfaction of training requirements prescribed herein. Any such elective training must have been completed within four years of the date that application is made for certification. Such determinations and any other determinations relating to equivalent or alternative training shall be made by the executive director of the training commission or designee.
(6) Any requests for exception to or variance within any provision or requirements set forth herein may be submitted in writing by the individual seeking certification to the executive director or designee, who shall have dispositive authority in the matter.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.101.080
. WSR 07-07-082, § 139-25-110, filed 3/16/07, effective 4/16/07; WSR 00-17-017, § 139-25-110, filed 8/4/00, effective 9/4/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.101.080
(2). WSR 88-20-023 (Order 21), § 139-25-110, filed 9/28/88.]