(1) The definitions in this subsection apply throughout this section unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(a) "Distributor" means every person who imports, refines, manufactures, produces, or compounds motor vehicle fuel and special fuel as defined in RCW 82.38.020
and sells or distributes the fuel into a county.
(b) "Person" has the same meaning as in RCW 82.04.030
(2) Subject to the conditions of this section, any county may levy, by approval of its legislative body and a majority of the registered voters of the county voting on the proposition at a general or special election, additional excise taxes equal to ten percent of the statewide fuel tax rates under RCW 82.38.030
on motor vehicle fuel and special fuel as defined in RCW 82.38.020
sold within the boundaries of the county. Vehicles paying an annual license fee under RCW 82.38.075
are exempt from the county fuel excise tax. An election held under this section must be held not more than twelve months before the date on which the proposed tax is to be levied. The ballot setting forth the proposition must state the tax rate that is proposed. The county's authority to levy additional excise taxes under this section includes the incorporated and unincorporated areas of the county. The additional excise taxes are subject to the same exceptions and rights of refund as applicable to other motor vehicle fuel and special fuel excise taxes levied under chapter 82.38
RCW. The proposed tax may not be levied less than one month from the date the election results are certified by the county election officer. The commencement date for the levy of any tax under this section must be the first day of January, April, July, or October.
(3) The local option motor vehicle fuel tax on motor vehicle fuel and on special fuel is imposed upon the distributor of the fuel.
(4) A taxable event for the purposes of this section occurs upon the first distribution of the fuel within the boundaries of a county to a retail outlet, bulk fuel user, or ultimate user of the fuel.
(5) All administrative provisions in chapters 82.01
, 82.03, and 82.32
RCW, insofar as they are applicable, apply to local option fuel taxes imposed under this section.
(6) Before the effective date of the imposition of the fuel taxes under this section, a county must contract with the department of revenue for the administration and collection of the taxes. The contract must provide that a percentage amount, not to exceed one percent of the taxes imposed under this section, will be deposited into the local tax administration account created in the custody of the state treasurer. The department of revenue may spend money from this account, upon appropriation, for the administration of the local taxes imposed under this section.
(7) The state treasurer must distribute monthly to the levying county and cities contained therein the proceeds of the additional excise taxes collected under this section, after the deductions for payments and expenditures as provided in RCW 46.68.090
(1) (a) and (b) and under the conditions and limitations provided in RCW 82.80.080
(8) The proceeds of the additional excise taxes levied under this section must be used strictly for transportation purposes in accordance with RCW 82.80.070
(9) A county may not levy the tax under this section if they are levying the tax in RCW 82.80.110
or if they are a member of a regional transportation investment district levying the tax in RCW 82.80.120
Effective date—Findings—Tax preference performance statement—2014 c 216:
See notes following RCW 82.38.030
Effective date—2013 c 225:
See note following RCW 82.38.010