(1) The department may prescribe, adopt, and enforce reasonable rules relating to administration and enforcement of this chapter.
(2) The department or its authorized representative may examine the books, papers, records, and equipment of any person distributing, transporting, storing, or using fuel to determine whether all taxes due or refundable are properly reported, paid, or claimed. If books, papers, records, and equipment are not maintained in this state at the time of demand, the department does not lose any right of examination.
(3) The department may require additional reports from any licensee with reference to any of the matters herein concerned. Such reports must be made and filed on forms prepared by the department.
(4) For the purpose of any investigation or proceeding, the director or designee may administer oaths and affirmations, subpoena witnesses, compel their attendance, take evidence, and require the production of any books, papers, correspondence, memoranda, agreements, or other documents or records which the director deems relevant or material to the inquiry.
(5) In the case of contumacy by or refusal to obey a subpoena issued to, any person, any court of competent jurisdiction upon application by the director, may issue to that person an order requiring appearance before the director or designee to produce testimony of other evidence regarding the matter under investigation or in question.
(6) The department must, upon request from officials responsible for enforcement of fuel tax laws of any state, the District of Columbia, the United States, its territories and possessions, the provinces or the dominion of Canada, forward information relative to the receipt, storage, delivery, sale, use, or other disposition of fuel by any person, if the other furnishes like information.
(7) The department may enter into a fuel tax cooperative agreement with another state, the District of Columbia, the United States, its territories and possessions, or Canadian province for the administration, collection, and enforcement of their respective fuel taxes.
(8) For the purposes of administration, collection, and enforcement of taxes imposed under this chapter, pursuant to another agreement under chapter 82.41
RCW, chapter 82.41
RCW controls to the extent of any conflict.
(9) The remedies of the state in this chapter are cumulative and no action taken by the department may be construed to be an election on the part of the state or any of its officers to pursue any remedy hereunder to the exclusion of any other remedy for which provision is made in this chapter.
Effective date—2013 c 225:
See note following RCW 82.38.010