(1) A use tax is levied on every person in this state for the privilege of using natural gas or manufactured gas, including compressed natural gas and liquefied natural gas, within this state as a consumer.
(2) The tax must be levied and collected in an amount equal to the value of the article used by the taxpayer multiplied by the rate in effect for the public utility tax on gas distribution businesses under RCW 82.16.020
. The "value of the article used" does not include any amounts that are paid for the hire or use of a gas distribution business as defined in RCW 82.16.010
(2) in transporting the gas subject to tax under this subsection if those amounts are subject to tax under that chapter.
(3) The tax levied in this section does not apply to the use of natural or manufactured gas delivered to the consumer by other means than through a pipeline.
(4) The tax levied in this section does not apply to the use of natural or manufactured gas if the person who sold the gas to the consumer has paid a tax under RCW 82.16.020
with respect to the gas for which exemption is sought under this subsection.
(5)(a) The tax levied in this section does not apply to the use of natural or manufactured gas by an aluminum smelter as that term is defined in RCW 82.04.217
before January 1, 2027.
(b) A person claiming the exemption provided in this subsection (5) must file a complete annual report with the department under RCW 82.32.534
(6) The tax imposed by this section does not apply to the use of natural gas, compressed natural gas, or liquefied natural gas, if the consumer uses the gas for transportation fuel as defined in RCW 82.16.310
(7) There is a credit against the tax levied under this section in an amount equal to any tax paid by:
(a) The person who sold the gas to the consumer when that tax is a gross receipts tax similar to that imposed pursuant to RCW 82.16.020
by another state with respect to the gas for which a credit is sought under this subsection; or
(b) The person consuming the gas upon which a use tax similar to the tax imposed by this section was paid to another state with respect to the gas for which a credit is sought under this subsection.
(8) The use tax imposed in this section must be paid by the consumer to the department.
(9) There is imposed a reporting requirement on the person who delivered the gas to the consumer to make a quarterly report to the department. Such report must contain the volume of gas delivered, name of the consumer to whom delivered, and such other information as the department may require by rule.
(10) The department may adopt rules under chapter 34.05
RCW for the administration and enforcement of sections 1 through 6, chapter 384, Laws of 1989.
Effective dates—2015 3rd sp.s. c 6:
See note following RCW 82.04.4266
Findings—Tax preference performance statement—2015 3rd sp.s. c 6 §§ 502-506:
See note following RCW 82.04.2909
Effective date—Findings—Tax preference performance statement—2014 c 216:
See notes following RCW 82.38.030
Application—Finding—Intent—2010 c 114:
See notes following RCW 82.32.585
Intent—Effective date—2004 c 24:
See notes following RCW 82.04.2909
Intent—1989 c 384:
"Due to a change in the federal regulations governing the sale of brokered natural gas, cities have lost significant revenues from the utility tax on natural gas. It is therefore the intent of the legislature to adjust the utility and use tax authority of the state and cities to maintain this revenue source for the municipalities and provide equality of taxation between intrastate and interstate transactions." [ 1989 c 384 § 1.
Effective date—1989 c 384:
"This act shall take effect July 1, 1990." [ 1989 c 384 § 7.