(1) In addition to all other powers conferred on the council under this chapter, the council shall have the powers set forth in this section.
(2) The council, upon request of any potential applicant, is authorized, as provided in this section, to conduct a preliminary study of any potential site prior to receipt of an application for site certification. A fee of ten thousand dollars for each potential site, to be applied toward the cost of any study agreed upon pursuant to subsection (3) of this section, shall accompany the request and shall be a condition precedent to any action on the request by the council.
(3) After receiving a request to study a potential site, the council shall commission its own independent consultant to study matters relative to the potential site. The study shall include, but need not be limited to, the preparation and analysis of environmental impact information for the proposed potential site and any other matter the council and the potential applicant deem essential to an adequate appraisal of the potential site. In conducting the study, the council is authorized to cooperate and work jointly with the county or counties in which the potential site is located, any federal, state, or local governmental agency that might be requested to comment upon the potential site, and any municipal or public corporation having an interest in the matter. The full cost of the study shall be paid by the potential applicant: PROVIDED, That such costs exceeding a total of ten thousand dollars shall be payable subject to the potential applicant giving prior approval to such excess amount.
(4) Any study prepared by the council pursuant to subsection (3) of this section may be used in place of the "detailed statement" required by RCW 43.21C.030
(2)(c) by any branch of government except the council created pursuant to chapter 80.50
(5) All payments required of the potential applicant under this section are to be made to the state treasurer, who in turn shall pay the consultant as instructed by the council. All such funds shall be subject to state auditing procedures. Any unexpended portions thereof shall be returned to the potential applicant.
(6) Nothing in this section shall change the requirements for an application for site certification or the requirement of payment of a fee as provided in RCW 80.50.071
, or change the time for disposition of an application for certification as provided in RCW 80.50.100
(7) Nothing in this section shall be construed as preventing a city or county from requiring any information it deems appropriate to make a decision approving a particular location.
Severability—Effective date—1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 108:
See notes following RCW 43.21F.010