Energy facilities to which chapter applies — Applications for certification — Forms — Information.
(1) The provisions of this chapter apply to the construction of energy facilities which includes the new construction of energy facilities and the reconstruction or enlargement of existing energy facilities where the net increase in physical capacity or dimensions resulting from such reconstruction or enlargement meets or exceeds those capacities or dimensions set forth in *RCW 80.50.020 (7) and (15). No construction of such energy facilities may be undertaken, except as otherwise provided in this chapter, after July 15, 1977, without first obtaining certification in the manner provided in this chapter.
(2) The provisions of this chapter apply to the construction, reconstruction, or enlargement of a new or existing energy facility that exclusively uses alternative energy resources and chooses to receive certification under this chapter, regardless of the generating capacity of the project.
(3)(a) The provisions of this chapter apply to the construction, reconstruction, or modification of electrical transmission facilities when:
(i) The facilities are located in a national interest electric transmission corridor as specified in RCW 80.50.045;
(ii) An applicant chooses to receive certification under this chapter, and the facilities are: (A) Of a nominal voltage of at least one hundred fifteen thousand volts and are located in a completely new corridor, except for the terminus of the new facility or interconnection of the new facility with the existing grid, and the corridor is not otherwise used for electrical transmission facilities; and (B) located in more than one jurisdiction that has promulgated land use plans or zoning ordinances; or
(iii) An applicant chooses to receive certification under this chapter, and the facilities are: (A) Of a nominal voltage in excess of one hundred fifteen thousand volts; and (B) located outside an electrical transmission corridor identified in (a)(i) and (ii) of this subsection (3).
(b) For the purposes of this subsection, "modify" means a significant change to an electrical transmission facility and does not include the following: (i) Minor improvements such as the replacement of existing transmission line facilities or supporting structures with equivalent facilities or structures; (ii) the relocation of existing electrical transmission line facilities; (iii) the conversion of existing overhead lines to underground; or (iv) the placing of new or additional conductors, supporting structures, insulators, or their accessories on or replacement of supporting structures already built.
(4) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to normal maintenance and repairs which do not increase the capacity or dimensions beyond those set forth in *RCW 80.50.020 (7) and (15).
(5) Applications for certification of energy facilities made prior to July 15, 1977, shall continue to be governed by the applicable provisions of law in effect on the day immediately preceding July 15, 1977, with the exceptions of RCW 80.50.190 and 80.50.071 which shall apply to such prior applications and to site certifications prospectively from July 15, 1977.
(6) Applications for certification shall be upon forms prescribed by the council and shall be supported by such information and technical studies as the council may require.
[2007 c 325 § 2; 2006 c 196 § 4; 2001 c 214 § 2; 1977 ex.s. c 371 § 5; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 108 § 34; 1970 ex.s. c 45 § 6.]
| *Reviser's note: RCW 80.50.020 was alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k), changing subsections (7) and (15) to subsections (21) and (12), respectively.|
Severability -- Effective date -- 2001 c 214: See notes following RCW 80.50.010.
Findings -- 2001 c 214: See note following RCW 39.35.010.
Severability -- Effective date -- 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 108: See notes following RCW 43.21F.010.