Immigrants — Food assistance.
(1) The department may establish a food assistance program for legal immigrants who are ineligible for the federal food stamp program.
(2) The rules for the state food assistance program shall follow exactly the rules of the federal food stamp program except for the provisions pertaining to immigrant status.
(3) The benefit under the state food assistance program shall be established by the legislature in the biennial operating budget.
(4) The department may enter into a contract with the United States department of agriculture to use the existing federal food stamp program coupon system for the purposes of administering the state food assistance program.
(5) In the event the department is unable to enter into a contract with the United States department of agriculture, the department may issue vouchers to eligible households for the purchase of eligible foods at participating retailers.
[1999 c 120 § 4; 1997 c 57 § 3.]
| Captions not law -- 1997 c 57: See note following RCW 74.08A.100.|