The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1)(a) Until July 1, 2016, "authorization" means:
(i) A statement signed and dated by a qualifying patient's health care professional written on tamper-resistant paper, which states that, in the health care professional's professional opinion, the patient may benefit from the medical use of marijuana; and
(ii) Proof of identity such as a Washington state driver's license or identicard, as defined in RCW 46.20.035
(b) Beginning July 1, 2016, "authorization" means a form developed by the department that is completed and signed by a qualifying patient's health care professional and printed on tamper-resistant paper.
(c) An authorization is not a prescription as defined in RCW 69.50.101
(2) "CBD concentration" means the percent of cannabidiol content per dry weight of any part of the plant Cannabis, or per volume or weight of marijuana product.
(3) "Department" means the department of health.
(4) "Designated provider" means a person who is twenty-one years of age or older and:
(a)(i) Is the parent or guardian of a qualifying patient who is under the age of eighteen and beginning July 1, 2016, holds a recognition card; or
(ii) Has been designated in writing by a qualifying patient to serve as the designated provider for that patient;
(b)(i) Has an authorization from the qualifying patient's health care professional; or
(ii) Beginning July 1, 2016:
(A) Has been entered into the medical marijuana authorization database as being the designated provider to a qualifying patient; and
(B) Has been provided a recognition card;
(c) Is prohibited from consuming marijuana obtained for the personal, medical use of the qualifying patient for whom the individual is acting as designated provider;
(d) Provides marijuana to only the qualifying patient that has designated him or her;
(e) Is in compliance with the terms and conditions of this chapter; and
(f) Is the designated provider to only one patient at any one time.
(5) "Health care professional," for purposes of this chapter only, means a physician licensed under chapter 18.71
RCW, a physician assistant licensed under chapter 18.71A
RCW, an osteopathic physician licensed under chapter 18.57
RCW, an osteopathic physicians' assistant licensed under chapter 18.57A
RCW, a naturopath licensed under chapter 18.36A
RCW, or an advanced registered nurse practitioner licensed under chapter 18.79
(6) "Housing unit" means a house, an apartment, a mobile home, a group of rooms, or a single room that is occupied as separate living quarters, in which the occupants live and eat separately from any other persons in the building, and which have direct access from the outside of the building or through a common hall.
(7) "Low THC, high CBD" means products determined by the department to have a low THC, high CBD ratio under RCW 69.50.375
. Low THC, high CBD products must be inhalable, ingestible, or absorbable.
(8) "Marijuana" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(9) "Marijuana concentrates" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(10) "Marijuana processor" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(11) "Marijuana producer" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(12) "Marijuana retailer" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(13) "Marijuana retailer with a medical marijuana endorsement" means a marijuana retailer that has been issued a medical marijuana endorsement by the state liquor and cannabis board pursuant to RCW 69.50.375
(14) "Marijuana-infused products" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(15) "Medical marijuana authorization database" means the secure and confidential database established in RCW 69.51A.230
(16) "Medical use of marijuana" means the manufacture, production, possession, transportation, delivery, ingestion, application, or administration of marijuana for the exclusive benefit of a qualifying patient in the treatment of his or her terminal or debilitating medical condition.
(17) "Plant" means a marijuana plant having at least three distinguishable and distinct leaves, each leaf being at least three centimeters in diameter, and a readily observable root formation consisting of at least two separate and distinct roots, each being at least two centimeters in length. Multiple stalks emanating from the same root ball or root system is considered part of the same single plant.
(18) "Public place" has the meaning provided in RCW 70.160.020
(19) "Qualifying patient" means a person who:
(a)(i) Is a patient of a health care professional;
(ii) Has been diagnosed by that health care professional as having a terminal or debilitating medical condition;
(iii) Is a resident of the state of Washington at the time of such diagnosis;
(iv) Has been advised by that health care professional about the risks and benefits of the medical use of marijuana; (v) Has been advised by that health care professional that they may benefit from the medical use of marijuana;
(v) Has been advised by that health care professional that they may benefit from the medical use of marijuana;
(vi)(A) Has an authorization from his or her health care professional; or
(B) Beginning July 1, 2016, has been entered into the medical marijuana authorization database and has been provided a recognition card; and
(vii) Is otherwise in compliance with the terms and conditions established in this chapter.
(b) "Qualifying patient" does not include a person who is actively being supervised for a criminal conviction by a corrections agency or department that has determined that the terms of this chapter are inconsistent with and contrary to his or her supervision and all related processes and procedures related to that supervision.
(20) "Recognition card" means a card issued to qualifying patients and designated providers by a marijuana retailer with a medical marijuana endorsement that has entered them into the medical marijuana authorization database.
(21) "Retail outlet" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(22) "Secretary" means the secretary of the department of health.
(23) "Tamper-resistant paper" means paper that meets one or more of the following industry-recognized features:
(a) One or more features designed to prevent copying of the paper;
(b) One or more features designed to prevent the erasure or modification of information on the paper; or
(c) One or more features designed to prevent the use of counterfeit authorization.
(24) "Terminal or debilitating medical condition" means a condition severe enough to significantly interfere with the patient's activities of daily living and ability to function, which can be objectively assessed and evaluated and limited to the following:
(a) Cancer, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), multiple sclerosis, epilepsy or other seizure disorder, or spasticity disorders;
(b) Intractable pain, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean pain unrelieved by standard medical treatments and medications;
(c) Glaucoma, either acute or chronic, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean increased intraocular pressure unrelieved by standard treatments and medications;
(d) Crohn's disease with debilitating symptoms unrelieved by standard treatments or medications;
(e) Hepatitis C with debilitating nausea or intractable pain unrelieved by standard treatments or medications;
(f) Diseases, including anorexia, which result in nausea, vomiting, wasting, appetite loss, cramping, seizures, muscle spasms, or spasticity, when these symptoms are unrelieved by standard treatments or medications;
(g) Posttraumatic stress disorder; or
(h) Traumatic brain injury.
(25) "THC concentration" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
(26) "Useable marijuana" has the meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101
[2015 c 70 § 17; 2010 c 284 § 2; 2007 c 371 § 3; 1999 c 2 § 6 (Initiative Measure No. 692, approved November 3, 1998).]
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015
Short title—Findings—Intent—References to Washington state liquor control board—Draft legislation—2015 c 70:
See notes following RCW 66.08.012
Intent—2007 c 371:
See note following RCW 69.51A.005