(1) The horse racing commission may authorize advance deposit wagering to be conducted by:
(a) A licensed class 1 racing association operating a live horse racing facility; or
(b) The operator of an advance deposit wagering system accepting wagers pursuant to an agreement with a licensed class 1 racing association. The agreement between the operator and the class 1 racing association must be approved by the commission.
(2) An entity authorized to conduct advance deposit wagering under subsection (1) of this section:
(a) May accept advance deposit wagering for races conducted in this state under a class 1 license or races not conducted within this state on a schedule approved by the class 1 licensee. A system of advance deposit wagering located outside or within this state may not accept wagers from residents or other individuals located within this state, and residents or other individuals located within this state are prohibited from placing wagers through advance deposit wagering systems, except with an entity authorized to conduct advance deposit wagering under subsection (1) of this section;
(b) May not accept an account wager in an amount in excess of the funds on deposit in the advance deposit wagering account of the individual placing the wager;
(c) May not allow individuals under the age of twenty-one to open, own, or have access to an advance deposit wagering account;
(d) Must include a statement in all forms of advertising for advance deposit wagering that individuals under the age of twenty-one are not allowed to open, own, or have access to an advance deposit wagering account; and
(e) Must verify the identification, residence, and age of the advance deposit wagering account holder using methods and technologies approved by the commission.
(3) As used in this section, "advance deposit wagering" means a form of parimutuel wagering in which an individual deposits money in an account with an entity authorized by the commission to conduct advance deposit wagering and then the account funds are used to pay for parimutuel wagers made in person, by telephone, or through communication by other electronic means.
(4) In order to participate in advance deposit wagering, the holder of a class 1 racing association license must have conducted at least one full live racing season. All class 1 racing associations must complete a live race meet within each succeeding twelve-month period to maintain eligibility to continue participating in advance deposit wagering.
(5) When more than one class 1 racing association is participating in advance deposit wagering the moneys paid to the racing associations shall be allocated proportionate to the gross amount of all sources of parimutuel wagering during each twelve-month period derived from the associations' live race meets. This percentage must be calculated annually. Revenue derived from advance deposit wagers placed on races conducted by the class 1 racing association shall all be allocated to that association.
(6) The commission shall adopt rules regulating advance deposit wagering.
[2007 c 209 § 1; 2004 c 274 § 1.]
| Effective date -- 2004 c 274: "This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect immediately [April 1, 2004]." [2004 c 274 § 4.]|