Living arrangements exempted from chapter.
The following living arrangements are not intended to be governed by the provisions of this chapter, unless established primarily to avoid its application, in which event the provisions of this chapter shall control:
(1) Residence at an institution, whether public or private, where residence is merely incidental to detention or the provision of medical, religious, educational, recreational, or similar services, including but not limited to correctional facilities, licensed nursing homes, monasteries and convents, and hospitals;
(2) Occupancy under a bona fide earnest money agreement to purchase or contract of sale of the dwelling unit or the property of which it is a part, where the tenant is, or stands in the place of, the purchaser;
(3) Residence in a hotel, motel, or other transient lodging whose operation is defined in RCW 19.48.010;
(4) Rental agreements entered into pursuant to the provisions of chapter 47.12 RCW where occupancy is by an owner-condemnee and where such agreement does not violate the public policy of this state of ensuring decent, safe, and sanitary housing and is so certified by the consumer protection division of the attorney general's office;
(5) Rental agreements for the use of any single-family residence which are incidental to leases or rentals entered into in connection with a lease of land to be used primarily for agricultural purposes;
(6) Rental agreements providing housing for seasonal agricultural employees while provided in conjunction with such employment;
(7) Rental agreements with the state of Washington, department of natural resources, on public lands governed by Title 79 RCW;
(8) Occupancy by an employee of a landlord whose right to occupy is conditioned upon employment in or about the premises.
[1989 c 342 § 3; 1973 1st ex.s. c 207 § 4.]