Unless otherwise specifically provided, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Appropriate committees of the legislature" or "committees" means nonfiscal standing committees of the Washington state senate and house of representatives that have jurisdiction over statutes that regulate health carriers, health care facilities, health care providers, or health care services.
(2) "Department" means the Washington state department of health.
(3) "Health care facility" or "facility" means hospices licensed under chapter 70.127
RCW, hospitals licensed under chapter 70.41
RCW, rural health care facilities as defined in RCW 70.175.020
, psychiatric hospitals licensed under chapter 71.12
RCW, nursing homes licensed under chapter 18.51
RCW, community mental health centers licensed under chapter 71.05
RCW, kidney disease treatment centers licensed under chapter 70.41
RCW, ambulatory diagnostic, treatment, or surgical facilities licensed under chapter 70.41
RCW, drug and alcohol treatment facilities licensed under *chapter 70.96A
RCW, and home health agencies licensed under chapter 70.127
RCW, and includes such facilities if owned and operated by a political subdivision or instrumentality of the state, and such other facilities as required by federal law and implementing regulations.
(4) "Health care provider" or "provider" means:
(a) A person regulated under Title 18 or chapter 70.127
RCW, to practice health or health-related services or otherwise practicing health care services in this state consistent with state law; or
(b) An employee or agent of a person described in (a) of this subsection, acting in the course and scope of his or her employment.
(5) "Health care service" or "service" means a service, drug, or medical equipment offered or provided by a health care facility and a health care provider relating to the prevention, cure, or treatment of illness, injury, or disease.
(6) "Health carrier" or "carrier" means a disability insurer regulated under chapter 48.20
RCW, a health care service contractor as defined in RCW 48.44.010
, a health maintenance organization as defined in RCW 48.46.020
, plans operating under the state health care authority under chapter 41.05
RCW, the state health insurance pool operating under chapter 48.41
RCW, and insuring entities regulated in chapter 48.43
(7) "Mandated health benefit," "mandated benefit," or "benefit" means coverage or offering required by law to be provided by a health carrier to: (a) Cover a specific health care service or services; (b) cover treatment of a specific condition or conditions; or (c) contract, pay, or reimburse specific categories of health care providers for specific services; however, it does not mean benefits established pursuant to chapter 74.09
, 41.05, or 70.47
RCW, or scope of practice modifications pursuant to chapter 18.120
RCW was repealed and/or recodified in its entirety pursuant to 2016 sp.s. c 29 §§ 301, effective April 1, 2018, 601, and 701.