(1) Except to the extent provided for in an applicable filing with the commissioner then in effect, no insurer, insurance producer, or title insurance agent shall, as an inducement to insurance, or after insurance has been effected, directly or indirectly, offer, promise, allow, give, set off, or pay to the insured or to any employee of the insured, any rebate, discount, abatement, or reduction of premium or any part thereof named in any insurance contract, or any commission thereon, or earnings, profits, dividends, or other benefit, or any other valuable consideration or inducement whatsoever which is not expressly provided for in the policy.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply as to commissions paid to a licensed insurance producer, or title insurance agent for insurance placed on that person's own property or risks.
(3) This section shall not apply to the allowance by any marine insurer, or marine insurance producer, to any insured, in connection with marine insurance, of such discount as is sanctioned by custom among marine insurers as being additional to the insurance producer's commission.
(4) This section shall not apply to advertising or promotional programs conducted by insurers, insurance producers, or title insurance agents whereby prizes, goods, wares, or merchandise, not exceeding twenty-five dollars in value per person in the aggregate in any twelve month period, are given to all insureds or prospective insureds under similar qualifying circumstances.
(5) This section does not apply to an offset or reimbursement of all or part of a fee paid to an insurance producer as provided in RCW 48.17.270.
(6)(a) Subsection (1) of this section shall not be construed to prohibit a health carrier or disability insurer from including as part of a group or individual health benefit plan or contract containing health benefits, a wellness program which meets the requirements for an exception from the prohibition against discrimination based on a health factor under the health insurance portability and accountability act (P.L. 104-191; 110 Stat. 1936) and regulations adopted pursuant to that act.
(b) For purposes of this subsection: (i) "Health carrier" and "health benefit plan" have the same meaning as provided in RCW 48.43.005; and (ii) "wellness program" has the same meaning as provided in 45 C.F.R. 146.121(f).
[2009 c 329 § 1; 2008 c 217 § 35; 1994 c 203 § 3; 1990 1st ex.s. c 3 § 8; 1985 c 264 § 14; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 119 § 3; 1947 c 79 § .30.14; Rem. Supp. 1947 § 45.30.14.]
| Severability--Effective date -- 2008 c 217: See notes following RCW 48.03.020.|