(1) "Budget" means a proposed plan of expenditures for a given period or purpose and the proposed means for financing these expenditures.
(2) "Budget document" means a formal statement, either written or provided on any electronic media or both, offered by the governor to the legislature, as provided in RCW 43.88.030
(3) "Director of financial management" means the official appointed by the governor to serve at the governor's pleasure and to whom the governor may delegate necessary authority to carry out the governor's duties as provided in this chapter. The director of financial management shall be head of the office of financial management which shall be in the office of the governor.
(4) "Agency" means and includes every state office, officer, each institution, whether educational, correctional, or other, and every department, division, board, and commission, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
(5) "Public funds", for purposes of this chapter, means all moneys, including cash, checks, bills, notes, drafts, stocks, and bonds, whether held in trust, for operating purposes, or for capital purposes, and collected or disbursed under law, whether or not such funds are otherwise subject to legislative appropriation, including funds maintained outside the state treasury.
(6) "Regulations" means the policies, standards, and requirements, stated in writing, designed to carry out the purposes of this chapter, as issued by the governor or the governor's designated agent, and which shall have the force and effect of law.
(7) "Ensuing biennium" means the fiscal biennium beginning on July 1st of the same year in which a regular session of the legislature is held during an odd-numbered year pursuant to Article II, section 12 of the Constitution and which biennium next succeeds the current biennium.
(8) "Dedicated fund" means a fund in the state treasury, or a separate account or fund in the general fund in the state treasury, that by law is dedicated, appropriated, or set aside for a limited object or purpose; but "dedicated fund" does not include a revolving fund or a trust fund.
(9) "Revolving fund" means a fund in the state treasury, established by law, from which is paid the cost of goods or services furnished to or by a state agency, and which is replenished through charges made for such goods or services or through transfers from other accounts or funds.
(10) "Trust fund" means a fund in the state treasury in which designated persons or classes of persons have a vested beneficial interest or equitable ownership, or which was created or established by a gift, grant, contribution, devise, or bequest that limits the use of the fund to designated objects or purposes.
(11) "Administrative expenses" means expenditures for: (a) Salaries, wages, and related costs of personnel and (b) operations and maintenance including but not limited to costs of supplies, materials, services, and equipment.
(12) "Fiscal year" means the year beginning July 1st and ending the following June 30th.
(13) "Lapse" means the termination of authority to expend an appropriation.
(14) "Legislative fiscal committees" means the joint legislative audit and review committee, the legislative evaluation and accountability program committee, and the ways and means and transportation committees of the senate and house of representatives.
(15) "Fiscal period" means the period for which an appropriation is made as specified within the act making the appropriation.
(16) "Primary budget driver" means the primary determinant of a budget level, other than a price variable, which causes or is associated with the major expenditure of an agency or budget unit within an agency, such as a caseload, enrollment, workload, or population statistic.
(17) "State tax revenue limit" means the limitation created by chapter 43.135
(18) "General state revenues" means the revenues defined by Article VIII, section 1(c) of the state Constitution.
(19) "Annual growth rate in real personal income" means the estimated percentage growth in personal income for the state during the current fiscal year, expressed in constant value dollars, as published by the office of financial management or its successor agency.
(20) "Estimated revenues" means estimates of revenue in the most recent official economic and revenue forecast prepared under RCW 82.33.020
, and prepared by the office of financial management for those funds, accounts, and sources for which the office of the economic and revenue forecast council does not prepare an official forecast, that are prepared by the office of financial management in consultation with the transportation revenue forecast council.
(21) "Estimated receipts" means the estimated receipt of cash in the most recent official economic and revenue forecast prepared under RCW 82.33.020
, and prepared by the office of financial management for those funds, accounts, and sources for which the office of the economic and revenue forecast council does not prepare an official forecast.
(22) "State budgeting, accounting, and reporting system" means a system that gathers, maintains, and communicates fiscal information. The system links fiscal information beginning with development of agency budget requests through adoption of legislative appropriations to tracking actual receipts and expenditures against approved plans.
(23) "Allotment of appropriation" means the agency's statement of proposed expenditures, the director of financial management's review of that statement, and the placement of the approved statement into the state budgeting, accounting, and reporting system.
(24) "Statement of proposed expenditures" means a plan prepared by each agency that breaks each appropriation out into monthly detail representing the best estimate of how the appropriation will be expended.
(25) "Undesignated fund balance (or deficit)" means unreserved and undesignated current assets or other resources available for expenditure over and above any current liabilities which are expected to be incurred by the close of the fiscal period.
(26) "Internal audit" means an independent appraisal activity within an agency for the review of operations as a service to management, including a systematic examination of accounting and fiscal controls to assure that human and material resources are guarded against waste, loss, or misuse; and that reliable data are gathered, maintained, and fairly disclosed in a written report of the audit findings.
(27) "Performance verification" means an analysis that (a) verifies the accuracy of data used by state agencies in quantifying intended results and measuring performance toward those results, and (b) verifies whether or not the reported results were achieved.
(28) "Performance audit" has the same meaning as it is defined in RCW 44.28.005
[2005 c 319 § 107; 2000 2nd sp.s. c 4 § 11; 1996 c 288 § 23; 1995 c 155 § 1; 1994 c 184 § 9; 1993 c 406 § 2; 1991 c 358 § 6; 1990 c 229 § 4; 1987 c 502 § 1; 1986 c 215 § 2; 1984 c 138 § 6; 1982 1st ex.s. c 36 § 1. Prior: 1981 c 280 § 6; 1981 c 270 § 2; 1980 c 87 § 25; 1979 c 151 § 135; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 83 § 4; 1973 1st ex.s. c 100 § 2; 1969 ex.s. c 239 § 9; 1965 c 8 § 43.88.020; prior: 1959 c 328 § 2.]
Findings—Intent—Part headings—Effective dates—2005 c 319:
See notes following RCW 43.17.020
Short title—1993 c 406: "This act may be known and cited as the performance-based government act of 1993." [1993 c 406 § 7.]
Effective date—1991 c 358:
See note following RCW 43.88.030
Effective date—1990 c 229:
See note following RCW 41.06.087
Effective date—1981 c 280: "This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, and safety, the support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and shall take effect July 1, 1981." [1981 c 280 § 10.]
Severability—1981 c 280: "If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1981 c 280 § 9.]
Effective date—Severability—1981 c 270:
See notes following RCW 43.88.010
Office of financial management: Chapter 43.41