Secretary's powers — Rule-making authority — Report to the legislature.
In addition to any other powers granted the secretary, the secretary may:
(1) Adopt, in accordance with chapter 34.05 RCW, rules necessary to carry out the provisions of chapter 9, Laws of 1989 1st ex. sess.: PROVIDED, That for rules adopted after July 23, 1995, the secretary may not rely solely on a section of law stating a statute's intent or purpose, on the enabling provisions of the statute establishing the agency, or on any combination of such provisions, for statutory authority to adopt any rule;
(2) Appoint such advisory committees as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of chapter 9, Laws of 1989 1st ex. sess. Members of such advisory committees are authorized to receive travel expenses in accordance with RCW 43.03.050 and 43.03.060. The secretary and the board of health shall review each advisory committee within their jurisdiction and each statutory advisory committee on a biennial basis to determine if such advisory committee is needed;
(3) Undertake studies, research, and analysis necessary to carry out the provisions of chapter 9, Laws of 1989 1st ex. sess. in accordance with RCW 43.70.050;
(4) Delegate powers, duties, and functions of the department to employees of the department as the secretary deems necessary to carry out the provisions of chapter 9, Laws of 1989 1st ex. sess.;
(5) Enter into contracts and enter into and distribute grants on behalf of the department to carry out the purposes of chapter 9, Laws of 1989 1st ex. sess. The department must report to the legislature a summary of the grants distributed under this authority, for each year of the first biennium after the department receives authority to distribute grants under this section, and make it electronically available;
(6) Act for the state in the initiation of, or the participation in, any intergovernmental program to the purposes of chapter 9, Laws of 1989 1st ex. sess.; or
(7) Solicit and accept gifts, grants, bequests, devises, or other funds from public and private sources.
[2005 c 32 § 2; 2001 c 80 § 2; 1995 c 403 § 105; 1989 1st ex.s. c 9 § 106.]
| Findings -- Intent -- 2001 c 80: "(1) The legislature finds that developing, creating, and maintaining partnerships between the public and private sectors can enhance and augment current public health services. The legislature further finds that the department of health should have the ability to establish such partnerships, and seek out and accept gifts, grants, and other funding to advance worthy public health goals and programs.|
(2) It is the intent of the legislature that gifts and other funds received by the department of health under the authority granted by RCW 43.70.040 may be used to expand or enhance program operations so long as program standards established by the department are maintained, but may not supplant or replace funds for federal, state, county, or city-supported programs." [2001 c 80 § 1.]
Findings -- Short title -- Intent -- 1995 c 403: See note following RCW 34.05.328.
Part headings not law -- Severability -- 1995 c 403: See RCW 43.05.903 and 43.05.904.