The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "By-right permitting" means that project applications for permits that use transferable development rights would be subject to administrative review. Administrative review allows a local planning official to approve a project without noticed public hearings.
(2) "Department" means the department of commerce.
(3) "Nongovernmental entities" includes nonprofit or membership organizations with experience or expertise in transferring development rights.
(4) "Receiving area ratio" means the number or character of development rights that are assigned to a development right for use in a receiving area. Development rights in a receiving area may be used at the discretion of the receiving area jurisdiction, including but not limited to additional residential density, additional building height, additional commercial floor area, or to meet regulatory requirements.
(5) "Receiving areas" are lands within and designated by a city or town in which transferable development rights from the regional program established by this chapter may be used.
(6) "Regional transfer of development rights program" or "regional program" means the regional transfer of development rights program established by RCW 43.362.030 in central Puget Sound, including King, Pierce, Kitsap, and Snohomish counties and the cities and towns within these counties.
(7) "Sending area" includes those lands that meet conservation criteria as described in RCW 43.362.040.
(8) "Sending area ratio" means the number of development rights that a sending area landowner can sell per acre.
(9) "Transfer of development rights" includes methods for protecting land from development by voluntarily removing the development rights from a sending area and transferring them to a receiving area for the purpose of increasing development density or intensity in the receiving area.
(10) "Transferable development right" means a right to develop one or more residential units in a sending area that can be sold and transferred for use consistent with a receiving ratio adopted for development in a designated receiving area consistent with the regional program.
[2009 c 565 § 45; 2009 c 474 § 2; 2007 c 482 § 2.]
| Reviser's note: (1) The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).|
(2) This section was amended by 2009 c 474 § 2 and by 2009 c 565 § 45, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025(1).