Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Department" means the department of commerce.
(2) "Director" means the director of commerce.
(3) "Distressed area" means: (a) A rural county; (b) a county which has an unemployment rate which is twenty percent above the state average for the immediately previous three years; (c) a county that has a median household income that is less than seventy-five percent of the state median household income for the previous three years; (d) a metropolitan statistical area, as defined by the office of federal statistical policy and standards, United States department of commerce, in which the average level of unemployment for the calendar year immediately preceding the year in which an application is filed under this chapter exceeds the average state unemployment for such calendar year by twenty percent; or (e) an area within a county, which area: (i) Is composed of contiguous census tracts; (ii) has a minimum population of five thousand persons; (iii) has at least seventy percent of its families and unrelated individuals with incomes below eighty percent of the county's median income for families and unrelated individuals; and (iv) has an unemployment rate which is at least forty percent higher than the county's unemployment rate. For purposes of this definition, "families and unrelated individuals" has the same meaning that is ascribed to that term by the federal department of housing and urban development in its regulations authorizing action grants for economic development and neighborhood revitalization projects.
(4) "Fund" means the rural Washington loan fund.
(5) "Local development organization" means a nonprofit organization which is organized to operate within an area, demonstrates a commitment to a long-standing effort for an economic development program, and makes a demonstrable effort to assist in the employment of unemployed or underemployed residents in an area.
(6) "Project" means the establishment of a new or expanded business in an area which when completed will provide employment opportunities. "Project" also means the retention of an existing business in an area which when completed will provide employment opportunities.
(7) "Rural county" has the same meaning as provided in RCW 82.14.370.
[2009 c 565 § 36; 2008 c 131 § 2; 2005 c 136 § 3; 1999 c 164 § 502; 1996 c 290 § 3; 1995 c 226 § 27; 1993 c 280 § 56; 1991 c 314 § 19; 1988 c 42 § 18; 1987 c 461 § 2; 1985 c 164 § 2.]
| Effective date -- 2008 c 131: See note following RCW 43.160.020.|
Savings--2005 c 136: "This act does not affect any existing right acquired or liability or obligation incurred under the sections amended or repealed in this act or under any rule or order adopted under those sections, nor does it affect any proceeding instituted under those sections." [2005 c 136 § 19.]
Effective date -- 2005 c 136: "This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect July 1, 2005." [2005 c 136 § 20.]
Findings -- Intent -- Part headings and subheadings not law -- Effective date -- Severability -- 1999 c 164: See notes following RCW 43.160.010.
Severability -- Conflict with federal requirements -- Effective date -- 1995 c 226: See notes following RCW 43.160.020.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1993 c 280: See RCW 43.330.902 and 43.330.903.
Findings -- 1991 c 314: See note following RCW 43.160.020.
Severability -- 1988 c 42: See note following RCW 4.24.480.