The following personal information is exempt from public inspection and copying under this chapter:
(1) Personal information in any files maintained for students in public schools, patients or clients of public institutions or public health agencies, or welfare recipients;
(2)(a) Personal information:
(i) For a child enrolled in licensed child care in any files maintained by the department of early learning;
(ii) For a child enrolled in a public or nonprofit program serving or pertaining to children, adolescents, or students, including but not limited to early learning or child care services, parks and recreation programs, youth development programs, and after-school programs; or
(iii) For the family members or guardians of a child who is subject to the exemption under this subsection (2) if the family member or guardian has the same last name of [as] the child or if the family member or guardian resides at the same address of [as] the child and disclosure of the family member's or guardian's information would result in disclosure of the personal information exempted under (a)(i) and (ii) of this subsection.
(b) Emergency contact information under this subsection (2) may be provided to appropriate authorities and medical personnel for the purpose of treating the individual during an emergency situation;
(3) Personal information in files maintained for employees, appointees, or elected officials of any public agency to the extent that disclosure would violate their right to privacy;
(4) Information required of any taxpayer in connection with the assessment or collection of any tax if the disclosure of the information to other persons would: (a) Be prohibited to such persons by RCW 84.08.210
, or any ordinance authorized under RCW 35.102.145
; or (b) violate the taxpayer's right to privacy or result in unfair competitive disadvantage to the taxpayer;
(5) Credit card numbers, debit card numbers, electronic check numbers, card expiration dates, or bank or other financial information as defined in RCW 9.35.005
including social security numbers, except when disclosure is expressly required by or governed by other law;
(6) Personal and financial information related to a small loan or any system of authorizing a small loan in RCW 31.45.093
(7)(a) Any record used to prove identity, age, residential address, social security number, or other personal information required to apply for a driver's license or identicard.
(b) Information provided under RCW 46.20.111
that indicates that an applicant declined to register with the selective service system.
(c) Any record pertaining to a vehicle license plate, driver's license, or identicard issued under RCW 46.08.066
that, alone or in combination with any other records, may reveal the identity of an individual, or reveal that an individual is or was, performing an undercover or covert law enforcement, confidential public health work, public assistance fraud, or child support investigative activity. This exemption does not prevent the release of the total number of vehicle license plates, drivers' licenses, or identicards that, under RCW 46.08.066
, an agency or department has applied for, been issued, denied, returned, destroyed, lost, and reported for misuse.
(d) Any record pertaining to a vessel registration issued under RCW 88.02.330
that, alone or in combination with any other records, may reveal the identity of an individual, or reveal that an individual is or was, performing an undercover or covert law enforcement activity. This exemption does not prevent the release of the total number of vessel registrations that, under RCW 88.02.330
, an agency or department has applied for, been issued, denied, returned, destroyed, lost, and reported for misuse; and
(8) All information related to individual claims resolution structured settlement agreements submitted to the board of industrial insurance appeals under RCW 51.04.063
, other than final orders from the board of industrial insurance appeals.
Upon request by the legislature, the department of licensing shall provide a report to the legislature containing all of the information in subsection (7)(c) and (d) of this section that is subject to public disclosure.
(9) Voluntarily submitted information contained in a database that is part of or associated with enhanced 911 emergency communications systems, or information contained or used in emergency notification systems as provided under RCW 38.52.575
Reviser's note: This section was amended by 2015 c 47 § 1 and by 2015 c 224 § 2, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025(1). Effective date—2013 c 336:
See note following RCW 46.08.066
Effective date—2011 c 350:
See note following RCW 46.20.111
Effective date—2010 c 106:
See note following RCW 35.102.145
Effective date—2009 c 510:
See RCW 31.45.901
Finding—Intent—Liberal construction—2009 c 510:
See note following RCW 31.45.010