Branches — Director's approval — State reciprocity — Definition.
*** CHANGE IN 2013 *** (SEE 1325-S.SL) ***
(1) A savings bank may not, without the written approval of the director, establish and operate branches in any place.
(2) A savings bank headquartered in this state desiring to establish a branch shall file a written application with the director, who shall approve or disapprove the application.
(3) The director's approval shall be conditioned on a finding that the savings bank has a satisfactory record of compliance with applicable laws and has a satisfactory financial condition. In making such findings, the director may rely on an application in the form filed with the federal deposit insurance corporation pursuant to 12 U.S.C. Sec. 1828(d). If the application for a branch is not approved, the savings bank shall have the right to appeal in the same manner and within the same time as provided by RCW 32.08.050 and 32.08.060. The savings bank when delivering the application to the director shall transmit to the director a check in an amount established by rule to cover the expense of the investigation. A savings bank headquartered in this state shall not move its headquarters or any branch more than two miles from its existing location without prior approval of the director. On or before the date on which it opens any office at which it will transact business in any state, territory, province, or other jurisdiction, a savings bank shall give written notice to the director of the location of this office. No such notice shall become effective until it has been delivered to the director.
(4) The board of trustees of a savings bank, after notice to the director, may discontinue the operation of a branch. The savings bank shall keep the director informed in the matter and shall notify the director of the date operation of the branch is discontinued.
(5) A savings bank that is headquartered in this state and is operating branches in another state, territory, province, or other jurisdiction may provide copies of state examination reports and reports of condition of the savings bank to the regulator having oversight responsibility with regard to its operations in that other jurisdiction, including the regulator of savings associations in the event such a savings bank is transacting savings and loan business pursuant to RCW 32.08.142 in that other jurisdiction.
(6) No savings bank headquartered in another state may establish, or acquire pursuant to RCW 32.32.500, and operate branches as a savings bank in any place within the state unless:
(a) The savings bank has filed with the director an agreement to comply with the requirements of RCW 30.38.040 for periodic reports by the savings bank or by the appropriate state superintendent or equivalent regulator of the savings bank under the laws of the state in which the savings bank is incorporated, unless the laws expressly require the provision of all the reports to the director;
(b) The savings bank has filed with the director (i) a duly executed instrument in writing, by its terms of indefinite duration and irrevocable, appointing the director and his or her successors its true and lawful attorney, upon whom all process in any action or proceeding against it in a cause of action arising out of business transacted by such savings bank in this state, may be served with the same force and effect as if it were a domestic corporation and had been lawfully served with process within the state, and (ii) a written certificate of designation, which may be changed from time to time by the filing of a new certificate of designation, specifying the name and address of the officer, agent, or other person to whom such process shall be forwarded by the director;
(c) The savings bank has supplied the director with such information as he or she shall require by rule, not to exceed the information on which the director may rely in approving a branch application pursuant to this section by a savings bank headquartered in this state; and
(d) The laws of the state in which the out-of-state savings bank is chartered permit savings banks chartered under this title to establish or acquire, and maintain branches in that state, under terms and conditions that are substantially the same as, or at least as favorable to, the terms and conditions for the chartering of savings banks under this title.
(7) A savings bank headquartered in another state may not establish and operate branches as a foreign savings association in any place within the state except upon compliance with chapter 33.32 RCW.
(8) Notwithstanding any provision of this title to the contrary, an out-of-state depository institution may not branch in the state of Washington, unless a Washington state bank, bank holding company, savings bank, savings bank holding company, savings and loan association, or savings and loan holding company is permitted to branch in the state in which that out-of-state depository institution is chartered or in which its principal office is located, under terms and conditions that are substantially the same as, or at least as favorable to entry as, the terms and conditions for branching of savings banks under this title. As used in this subsection, "out-of-state depository institution" means a bank or bank holding company, or a converted mutual savings bank or the holding company of a mutual savings bank, which is chartered in or whose principal office is located in another state, or a savings and loan association or the holding company of a savings and loan association, which is chartered in another state.
[2005 c 348 § 4; 1996 c 2 § 21. Prior: 1994 c 256 § 93; 1994 c 92 § 294; 1985 c 56 § 2; 1955 c 80 § 1; 1955 c 13 § 32.04.030; prior: 1933 c 143 § 1; 1925 ex.s. c 86 § 10; 1915 c 175 § 15; RRS § 3344.]
| Effective date -- 2005 c 348: See note following RCW 30.38.005.|
Severability -- 1996 c 2: See RCW 30.38.900.
Findings -- Construction -- 1994 c 256: See RCW 43.320.007.