(1) All state, county, city, town, and district general elections for the election of federal, state, legislative, judicial, county, city, town, and district officers, and for the submission to the voters of the state, county, city, town, or district of any measure for their adoption and approval or rejection, shall be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November, in the year in which they may be called. A statewide general election shall be held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November of each year. However, the statewide general election held in odd-numbered years shall be limited to (a) city, town, and district general elections as provided for in RCW 29A.04.330
, or as otherwise provided by law; (b) the election of federal officers for the remainder of any unexpired terms in the membership of either branch of the Congress of the United States; (c) the election of state and county officers for the remainder of any unexpired terms of offices created by or whose duties are described in Article II, section 15, Article III, sections 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23, and Article IV, sections 3 and 5 of the state Constitution and RCW 2.06.080
; (d) the election of county officers in any county governed by a charter containing provisions calling for general county elections at this time; and (e) the approval or rejection of state measures, including proposed constitutional amendments, matters pertaining to any proposed constitutional convention, initiative measures and referendum measures proposed by the electorate, referendum bills, and any other matter provided by the legislature for submission to the electorate.
(2) A county legislative authority may call a special county election by presenting a resolution to the county auditor prior to the proposed election date. A special election called by the county legislative authority shall be held on one of the following dates as decided by such governing body:
(a) The second Tuesday in February;
(b) The fourth Tuesday in April;
(c) The day of the primary as specified by RCW 29A.04.311
(d) The first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
(3) A resolution calling for a special election on a date set forth in subsection (2)(a) and (b) of this section must be presented to the county auditor at least forty-six days prior to the election date. A resolution calling for a special election on a date set forth in subsection (2)(c) of this section must be presented to the county auditor no later than the Friday immediately before the first day of regular candidate filing. A resolution calling for a special election on a date set forth in subsection (2)(d) of this section must be presented to the county auditor no later than the day of the primary.
(4) In addition to the dates set forth in subsection (2)(a) through (d) of this section, a special election to validate an excess levy or bond issue may be called at any time to meet the needs resulting from fire, flood, earthquake, or other act of God. Such county special election shall be noticed and conducted in the manner provided by law.
(5) This section shall supersede the provisions of any and all other statutes, whether general or special in nature, having different dates for such city, town, and district elections, the purpose of this section being to establish mandatory dates for holding elections. This section shall not be construed as fixing the time for holding primary elections, or elections for the recall of any elective public officer. [2013 c 11 § 8; 2011 c 349 § 3; 2009 c 413 § 2; (2009 c 413 § 1 expired July 1, 2011); 2006 c 344 § 2; 2004 c 271 § 106.
[2013 c 11 § 8; 2011 c 349 § 3; 2009 c 413 § 2; (2009 c 413 § 1 expired July 1, 2011); 2006 c 344 § 2; 2004 c 271 § 106.]
Effective date—2011 c 349:
See note following RCW 29A.04.255
Effective date—2009 c 413 §§ 2 and 4: "Sections 2 and 4 of this act take effect July 1, 2011." [2009 c 413 § 6.]
Expiration date—2009 c 413 §§ 1 and 3: "Sections 1 and 3 of this act expire July 1, 2011." [2009 c 413 § 5.]
Effective date—2006 c 344 §§ 1-16 and 18-40:
See note following RCW 29A.04.311