It is the intent of the legislature that when the state and regional universities, The Evergreen State College, and community and technical colleges grant professional leaves to faculty and exempt staff, such leaves be for the purpose of providing opportunities for study, research, and creative activities for the enhancement of the institution's instructional and research programs.
The boards of regents of the state universities, the boards of trustees of the regional universities and of The Evergreen State College and the board of trustees of each community or technical college district may grant remunerated professional leaves to faculty members and exempt staff, as defined in RCW 41.06.070
, in accordance with regulations adopted by the respective governing boards for periods not to exceed twelve consecutive months in accordance with the following provisions:
(1) The remuneration from state general funds and general local funds for any such leave granted for any academic year shall not exceed the average of the highest quartile of a rank order of salaries of all full time teaching faculty holding academic year contracts or appointments at the institution or in the district.
(2) Remunerated professional leaves for a period of more or less than an academic year shall be compensated at rates not to exceed a proportional amount of the average salary as otherwise calculated for the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The grant of any such professional leave shall be contingent upon a signed contractual agreement between the respective governing board and the recipient providing that the recipient shall return to the granting institution or district following his or her completion of such leave and serve in a professional status for a period commensurate with the amount of leave so granted. Failure to comply with the provisions of such signed agreement shall constitute an obligation of the recipient to repay to the institution any remuneration received from the institution during the leave.
(4) The aggregate cost of remunerated professional leaves awarded at the institution or district during any year, including the cost of replacement personnel, shall not exceed the cost of salaries which otherwise would have been paid to personnel on leaves: PROVIDED, That for community or technical college districts the aggregate cost shall not exceed one hundred fifty percent of the cost of salaries which would have otherwise been paid to personnel on leaves: PROVIDED FURTHER, That this subsection shall not apply to any community or technical college district with fewer than seventy-five full time faculty members and granting fewer than three individuals such leaves in any given year.
(5) The average number of annual remunerated professional leaves awarded at any such institution or district shall not exceed four percent of the total number of full time equivalent faculty, as defined by the office of financial management, who are engaged in instruction, and exempt staff as defined in RCW 41.06.070
(6) Negotiated agreements made in accordance with chapter 28B.52
RCW and entered into after July 1, 1977, shall be in conformance with the provisions of this section.
(7) The respective institutions and districts shall maintain such information which will ensure compliance with the provisions of this section.
Part headings not law—2004 c 275:
See note following RCW 28B.76.090
Severability—1977 ex.s. c 173:
"If any provision of this 1977 amendatory act, or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act, or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [ 1977 ex.s. c 173 § 3.
Severability—Nomenclature—Savings—1977 ex.s. c 169:
See notes following RCW 28B.10.016