Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this title.
(1) "Articles of incorporation" include amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of merger.
(2) "Authorized shares" means the shares of all classes a domestic or foreign corporation is authorized to issue.
(3) "Conspicuous" means so prepared that a reasonable person against whom the record is to operate should have noticed it. For example, printing in italics or boldface or contrasting color, or typing in capitals or underlined, is conspicuous.
(4) "Corporate action" means any resolution, act, policy, contract, transaction, plan, adoption or amendment of articles of incorporation or bylaws, or other matter approved by or submitted for approval to a corporation's incorporators, board of directors or a committee thereof, or shareholders.
(5) "Corporation" or "domestic corporation" means a corporation for profit, including a social purpose corporation, which is not a foreign corporation, incorporated under or subject to the provisions of this title.
(6) "Deliver" includes (a) mailing, (b) for purposes of delivering a demand, consent, notice, or waiver to the corporation or one of its officers, directors, or shareholders, transmission by facsimile equipment, and (c) for purposes of delivering a demand, consent, notice, or waiver to the corporation or one of its officers, directors, or shareholders under RCW 23B.01.410 or chapter 23B.07, 23B.08, 23B.11, 23B.13, 23B.14, or 23B.16 RCW delivery by electronic transmission.
(7) "Distribution" means a direct or indirect transfer of money or other property, except its own shares, or incurrence of indebtedness by a corporation to or for the benefit of its shareholders in respect to any of its shares. A distribution may be in the form of a declaration or payment of a dividend; a distribution in partial or complete liquidation, or upon voluntary or involuntary dissolution; a purchase, redemption, or other acquisition of shares; a distribution of indebtedness; or otherwise.
(8) "Effective date of notice" has the meaning provided in RCW 23B.01.410.
(9) "Electronic transmission" means an electronic communication (a) not directly involving the physical transfer of a record in a tangible medium and (b) that may be retained, retrieved, and reviewed by the sender and the recipient thereof, and that may be directly reproduced in a tangible medium by such a sender and recipient.
(10) "Electronically transmitted" means the initiation of an electronic transmission.
(11) "Employee" includes an officer but not a director. A director may accept duties that make the director also an employee.
(12) "Entity" includes a corporation and foreign corporation, not-for-profit corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest, the state, United States, and a foreign governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(13) "Execute," "executes," or "executed" means (a) signed with respect to a written record or (b) electronically transmitted along with sufficient information to determine the sender's identity with respect to an electronic transmission, or (c) with respect to a record to be filed with the secretary of state, in compliance with the standards for filing with the office of the secretary of state as prescribed by the secretary of state.
(14) "Foreign corporation" means a corporation for profit incorporated under a law other than the law of this state.
(15) "Foreign limited partnership" means a partnership formed under laws other than of this state and having as partners one or more general partners and one or more limited partners.
(16) "General social purpose" means the general social purpose for which a social purpose corporation is organized as set forth in the articles of incorporation of the corporation in accordance with RCW 23B.25.040(1)(c).
(17) "Governmental subdivision" includes authority, county, district, and municipality.
(18) "Includes" denotes a partial definition.
(19) "Individual" includes the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual.
(20) "Limited partnership" or "domestic limited partnership" means a partnership formed by two or more persons under the laws of this state and having one or more general partners and one or more limited partners.
(21) "Means" denotes an exhaustive definition.
(22) "Notice" has the meaning provided in RCW 23B.01.410.
(23) "Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(24) "Principal office" means the office, in or out of this state, so designated in the annual report where the principal executive offices of a domestic or foreign corporation are located.
(25) "Proceeding" includes civil suit and criminal, administrative, and investigatory action.
(26) "Public company" means a corporation that has a class of shares registered with the federal securities and exchange commission pursuant to section 12 or 15 of the securities exchange act of 1934, or section 8 of the investment company act of 1940, or any successor statute.
(27) "Record" means information inscribed on a tangible medium or contained in an electronic transmission.
(28) "Record date" means the date established under chapter 23B.07 RCW on which a corporation determines the identity of its shareholders and their shareholdings for purposes of this title. The determinations shall be made as of the close of business on the record date unless another time for doing so is specified when the record date is fixed.
(29) "Secretary" means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under RCW 23B.08.400(3) for custody of the minutes of the meetings of the board of directors and of the shareholders and for authenticating records of the corporation.
(30) "Shares" means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided.
(31) "Shareholder" means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation.
(32) "Social purpose" includes any general social purpose and any specific social purpose.
(33) "Social purpose corporation" means a corporation that has elected to be governed as a social purpose corporation under chapter 23B.25 RCW.
(34) "Specific social purpose" means the specific social purpose or purposes for which a social purpose corporation is organized as set forth in the articles of incorporation of the corporation in accordance with RCW 23B.25.040(2)(a).
(35) "State," when referring to a part of the United States, includes a state and commonwealth, and their agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory and insular possession, and their agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States.
(36) "Subscriber" means a person who subscribes for shares in a corporation, whether before or after incorporation.
(37) "Tangible medium" means a writing, copy of a writing, or facsimile, or a physical reproduction, each on paper or on other tangible material.
(38) "United States" includes a district, authority, bureau, commission, department, and any other agency of the United States.
(39) "Voting group" means all shares of one or more classes or series that under the articles of incorporation or this title are entitled to vote and be counted together collectively on a matter at a meeting of shareholders. All shares entitled by the articles of incorporation or this title to vote generally on the matter are for that purpose a single voting group.
(40) "Writing" does not include an electronic transmission.
(41) "Written" means embodied in a tangible medium.
[2012 c 215 § 17; 2009 c 189 § 1. Prior: 2002 c 297 § 9; 2002 c 296 § 1; 2000 c 168 § 1; 1996 c 155 § 4; 1995 c 47 § 1; prior: 1991 c 269 § 35; 1991 c 72 § 28; 1989 c 165 § 14.]