Fees and expenses — Cost of providing interpreter — Reimbursement.
(1) Interpreters appointed according to this chapter are entitled to a reasonable fee for their services and shall be reimbursed for actual expenses which are reasonable as provided in this section.
(2) In all legal proceedings in which the non-English-speaking person is a party, or is subpoenaed or summoned by the appointing authority or is otherwise compelled by the appointing authority to appear, including criminal proceedings, grand jury proceedings, coroner's inquests, mental health commitment proceedings, and other legal proceedings initiated by agencies of government, the cost of providing the interpreter shall be borne by the governmental body initiating the legal proceedings.
(3) In other legal proceedings, the cost of providing the interpreter shall be borne by the non-English-speaking person unless such person is indigent according to adopted standards of the body. In such a case the cost shall be an administrative cost of the governmental body under the authority of which the legal proceeding is conducted.
(4) The cost of providing the interpreter is a taxable cost of any proceeding in which costs ordinarily are taxed.
(5) Subject to the availability of funds specifically appropriated therefor, the administrative office of the courts shall reimburse the appointing authority for up to one-half of the payment to the interpreter where an interpreter is appointed by a judicial officer in a proceeding before a court at public expense and:
(a) The interpreter appointed is an interpreter certified by the administrative office of the courts or is a qualified interpreter registered by the administrative office of the courts in a noncertified language, or where the necessary language is not certified or registered, the interpreter has been qualified by the judicial officer pursuant to this chapter;
(b) The court conducting the legal proceeding has an approved language assistance plan that complies with RCW 2.43.090; and
(c) The fee paid to the interpreter for services is in accordance with standards established by the administrative office of the courts.
[2008 c 291 § 3; 1989 c 358 § 4. Formerly RCW 2.42.230.]
| Severability -- 1989 c 358: See note following RCW 2.43.010.|