As used in this chapter:
(1) "Appointing authority" means the presiding officer or similar official of any court, department, board, commission, agency, licensing authority, or legislative body of the state or of any political subdivision thereof.
(2) "Certified interpreter" means an interpreter who is certified by the administrative office of the courts.
(3) "Legal proceeding" means a proceeding in any court in this state, grand jury hearing, or hearing before an inquiry judge, or before an administrative board, commission, agency, or licensing body of the state or any political subdivision thereof.
(4) "Non-English-speaking person" means any person involved in a legal proceeding who cannot readily speak or understand the English language, but does not include hearing-impaired persons who are covered under chapter 2.42
(5) "Qualified interpreter" means a person who is able readily to interpret or translate spoken and written English for non-English-speaking persons and to interpret or translate oral or written statements of non-English-speaking persons into spoken English.
(6) "Registered interpreter" means an interpreter who is registered by the administrative office of the courts.
[2010 c 190 § 2; 2005 c 282 § 2; 1989 c 358 § 2. Formerly RCW 2.42.210
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015
Severability—1989 c 358:
See note following RCW 2.43.010