The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Commission" means the utilities and transportation commission.
(2) "Conservation and efficiency resources" means any reduction in electric power consumption that results from increases in the efficiency of energy use, production, transmission, or distribution.
owned utility" includes a municipal electric utility formed under Title 35 RCW, a public utility district formed under Title 54 RCW, an irrigation district formed under chapter 87.03
RCW, a cooperative formed under chapter 23.86
RCW, a mutual corporation or association formed under chapter 24.06
RCW, a port district formed under Title 53 RCW, or a water-
sewer district formed under Title 57 RCW, that is engaged in the business of distributing electricity to one or more retail electric customers in the state.
(4) "Department" means the department of commerce.
(5) "Electric utility" means a consumer-owned or investor-owned utility.
(6) "Full requirements customer" means an electric utility that relies on the Bonneville power administration for all power needed to supply its total load requirement other than that served by nondispatchable generating resources totaling no more than six megawatts or renewable resources.
(7) "Governing body" means the elected board of directors, city council, commissioners, or board of any consumer-owned utility.
(8) "High efficiency cogeneration" means the sequential production of electricity and useful thermal energy from a common fuel source, where, under normal operating conditions, the facility has a useful thermal energy output of no less than thirty-three percent of the total energy output.
(9) "Integrated resource plan" means an analysis describing the mix of generating resources, conservation, methods, technologies, and resources to integrate renewable resources and, where applicable, address overgeneration events, and efficiency resources that will meet current and projected needs at the lowest reasonable cost to the utility and its ratepayers and that complies with the requirements specified in RCW 19.280.030
owned utility" means a corporation owned by investors that meets the definition in RCW 80.04.010
and is engaged in distributing electricity to more than one retail electric customer in the state.
(11) "Lowest reasonable cost" means the lowest cost mix of generating resources and conservation and efficiency resources determined through a detailed and consistent analysis of a wide range of commercially available resources. At a minimum, this analysis must consider resource cost, market-volatility risks, demand-side resource uncertainties, resource dispatchability, resource effect on system operation, the risks imposed on the utility and its ratepayers, public policies regarding resource preference adopted by Washington state or the federal government, and the cost of risks associated with environmental effects including emissions of carbon dioxide.
(12) "Overgeneration event" means an event within an operating period of a balancing authority when the electricity supply, including generation from intermittent renewable resources, exceeds the demand for electricity for that utility's energy delivery obligations and when there is a negatively priced regional market.
(13) "Plan" means either an "integrated resource plan" or a "resource plan."
(14) "Renewable resources" means electricity generation facilities fueled by: (a) Water; (b) wind; (c) solar energy; (d) geothermal energy; (e) landfill gas; (f) biomass energy utilizing animal waste, solid organic fuels from wood, forest, or field residues or dedicated energy crops that do not include wood pieces that have been treated with chemical preservatives such as creosote, pentachlorophenol, or copper-chrome-arsenic; (g) by-products of pulping or wood manufacturing processes, including but not limited to bark, wood chips, sawdust, and lignin in spent pulping liquors; (h) ocean thermal, wave, or tidal power; or (i) gas from sewage treatment facilities.
(15) "Resource plan" means an assessment that estimates electricity loads and resources over a defined period of time and complies with the requirements in RCW 19.280.030
(2). [2013 c 149 § 2; 2009 c 565 § 19; 2006 c 195 § 2.
[2013 c 149 § 2; 2009 c 565 § 19; 2006 c 195 § 2.]
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015