The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Agreement of distributorship" means any contract, agreement, commercial relationship, license, association, or any other arrangement, for a definite or indefinite period, between a supplier and distributor.
(2) "Authorized representative" has the same meaning as "authorized representative" as defined in RCW 66.04.010.
(3) "Brand" means any word, name, group of letters, symbol, or combination thereof, including the name of the distiller or brewer if the distiller's or brewer's name is also a significant part of the product name, adopted and used by a supplier to identify specific spirits or a specific malt beverage product and to distinguish that product from other spirits or malt beverages produced by that supplier or other suppliers.
(4) "Distributor" means any person, including but not limited to a component of a supplier's distribution system constituted as an independent business, importing or causing to be imported into this state, or purchasing or causing to be purchased within this state, any spirits or malt beverages for sale or resale to retailers licensed under the laws of this state, regardless of whether the business of such person is conducted under the terms of any agreement with a distiller or malt beverage manufacturer.
(5) "Importer" means any distributor importing spirits or beer into this state for sale to retailer accounts or for sale to other distributors designated as "subjobbers" for resale.
(6) "Malt beverage manufacturer" means every brewer, fermenter, processor, bottler, or packager of malt beverages located within or outside this state, or any other person, whether located within or outside this state, who enters into an agreement of distributorship for the resale of malt beverages in this state with any wholesale distributor doing business in the state of Washington.
(7) "Person" means any natural person, corporation, partnership, trust, agency, or other entity, as well as any individual officers, directors, or other persons in active control of the activities of such entity.
(8) "Spirits manufacturer" means every distiller, processor, bottler, or packager of spirits located within or outside this state, or any other person, whether located within or outside this state, who enters into an agreement of distributorship for the resale of spirits in this state with any wholesale distributor doing business in the state of Washington.
(9) "Successor distributor" means any distributor who enters into an agreement, whether oral or written, to distribute a brand of spirits or malt beverages after the supplier with whom such agreement is made or the person from whom that supplier acquired the right to manufacture or distribute the brand has terminated, canceled, or failed to renew an agreement of distributorship, whether oral or written, with another distributor to distribute that same brand of spirits or malt beverages.
(10) "Supplier" means any spirits or malt beverage manufacturer or importer who enters into or is a party to any agreement of distributorship with a wholesale distributor. "Supplier" does not include: (a) Any distiller licensed under RCW 66.24.140 or 66.24.145 and producing less than sixty thousand proof gallons of spirits annually or any brewery or microbrewery licensed under RCW 66.24.240 and producing less than two hundred thousand barrels of malt liquor annually; (b) any brewer or manufacturer of malt liquor producing less than two hundred thousand barrels of malt liquor annually and holding a certificate of approval issued under RCW 66.24.270; or (c) any authorized representative of distillers or malt liquor manufacturers who holds an appointment from one or more distillers or malt liquor manufacturers which, in the aggregate, produce less than two hundred thousand barrels of malt liquor or sixty thousand proof gallons of spirits.
(11) "Terminated distribution rights" means distribution rights with respect to a brand of malt beverages which are lost by a terminated distributor as a result of termination, cancellation, or nonrenewal of an agreement of distributorship for that brand.
(12) "Terminated distributor" means a distributor whose agreement of distributorship with respect to a brand of spirits or malt beverages, whether oral or written, has been terminated, canceled, or not renewed.
[2012 c 2 § 213 (Initiative Measure No. 1183, approved November 8, 2011). Prior: 2009 c 155 § 1; 2004 c 160 § 19; 2003 c 59 § 2; 1997 c 321 § 41; 1984 c 169 § 2.]
| Finding -- Application -- Rules -- Effective date -- Contingent effective date -- 2012 c 2 (Initiative Measure No. 1183): See notes following RCW 66.24.620.|
Effective date -- 2004 c 160: See note following RCW 66.04.010.
Effective date -- 2003 c 59: See note following RCW 19.126.010.
Effective date -- 1997 c 321: See note following RCW 66.24.010.