Milk and milk products — Rule-making authority — Grade A pasteurized and raw milk — Grade C milk and milk products.
The director of agriculture is authorized to:
(1) Adopt rules necessary to carry out the purposes of chapter 15.36 RCW, which includes rules governing the farm storage tank and bulk milk tanker requirements, however the rules may not restrict the display or promotion of products covered under this section.
(2) By rule, establish, amend, or both, definitions and standards for milk and milk products. Such definitions and standards established by the director shall conform, insofar as practicable, with the definitions and standards for milk and milk products adopted by the federal food and drug administration.
(3) By rule, adopt the PMO, DMO, and supplemental documents by reference to establish requirements for grade A pasteurized and grade A raw milk.
(4) Adopt rules establishing standards for grade A pasteurized and grade A raw milk that are more stringent than the PMO based upon current industry or public health information for the enforcement of this chapter whenever he or she determines that any such rules are necessary to carry out the purposes of this section and RCW 15.36.481.
(5) By rule, certify an officially designated laboratory to analyze milk for standard of quality, adulteration, contamination, and unwholesomeness.
(6) Adopt rules setting standards and requirements for the production of grade C milk and milk products.
[1999 c 291 § 2; 1996 c 188 § 3; 1994 c 143 § 103; 1989 c 354 § 13; 1969 ex.s. c 102 § 1. Formerly RCW 15.36.011.]
| Severability -- 1989 c 354: See note following RCW 15.36.012.|
Repealed definitions constitute rules: "The definitions constituting section 15.36.010, chapter 11, Laws of 1961 and RCW 15.36.010 as hereinafter in section 7 of this 1969 amendatory act repealed are hereby constituted and declared to be operative and to remain in force as the rules of the department of agriculture until such time as amended, modified, or revoked by the director of agriculture." [1969 ex.s. c 102 § 2.]