(1) Subject to RCW 11.114.220
, the custodian shall transfer in an appropriate manner the custodial property to the minor or to the minor's estate upon the earlier of:
(a) The minor's attainment of twenty-one years of age with respect to custodial property transferred under RCW 11.114.040
(b) The minor's attainment of eighteen years of age with respect to custodial property transferred under RCW 11.114.060
(c) The minor's death.
(2) The transferor may, in the initial nomination of custodian, extend the custodianship to the earlier of the minor's attainment of twenty-five years of age or the minor's death unless:
(a) The governing will, trust, or instrument creating the power of appointment specifically provides otherwise if the custodian property is transferred under RCW 11.114.040
, or 11.114.060
(b) The custodial property is transferred under RCW 11.114.070
. In that case, the person nominating the custodian under RCW 11.114.030
may elect to extend the custodianship. If no custodian has been nominated under RCW 11.114.030
, the court establishing the custodianship under RCW 11.114.070
(4) may extend the custodianship if it determines that doing so would not be contrary to the interest of the minor.
(3) An extension of the custodianship under subsection (2) of this section will be valid only if the transfer creating the custodianship is made on or after July 1, 2007.
(4) Any bank, trust company, insurance company, registered broker-dealer, investment company regulated under the federal Investment Company Act of 1940, investment advisor regulated under the federal Investment Advisors Act of 1940, or other person who makes custodianship forms available for adoption in contemplation of selling assets to or managing assets for a custodianship shall include, in any form made available on or after July 1, 2007, an option to extend the custodianship under subsection (2) of this section and a warning to the transferor that exercising the option to extend may result in the transfer not qualifying for annual exclusion from federal gift tax. An instrument in the form described in RCW 11.114.090
(2) will satisfy the requirements of this subsection.
Effective date—2006 c 204:
See note following RCW 11.114.090