(1) An assessment shall be conducted for each applicant to determine whether:
(a) The individual is blind as defined in WAC 67-25-005
, which alone or combined with other disabilities results in a substantial impediment to employment; and
(b) Vocational rehabilitation services are required for the applicant to prepare for, enter, engage in, or retain an employment outcome consistent with the applicant's unique strengths, resources, priorities, concerns, abilities, capabilities, interests, and informed choice.
(2) If the department is operating under an order of priority, in accordance with WAC 67-25-460
, the assessment must also include information to be used for determination of priority for service.
(3) The assessment shall, to the maximum extent possible, be based on a review of existing data in accordance with confidentiality requirements in WAC 67-25-550
. The assessment shall, where appropriate, include information provided by the applicant or the applicant's family, education records, information used by the Social Security Administration, determinations made by other agencies, and observations of the vocational rehabilitation counselor and other appropriate staff members.
(4) To the extent existing data do not describe the current functioning of the individual or are unavailable, insufficient, or inappropriate to make an eligibility determination, the assessment may include provision of vocational rehabilitation services necessary to determine whether the applicant is eligible. Services provided for this purpose may include trial work experience or extended evaluation in accordance with WAC 67-25-065
. The department will provide assistance to the applicant, if necessary, to assure that the applicant is prepared to make an informed choice in the selection of services needed to make an eligibility decision.
(5) The assessment must include an appraisal of the current visual condition and prognosis of the applicant based on ophthalmological or optometric findings.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 74.18
RCW. WSR 05-08-097, § 67-25-020, filed 4/4/05, effective 5/5/05. Statutory Authority: Chapter 74.15
RCW. WSR 95-06-057, § 67-25-020, filed 2/28/95, effective 3/31/95. Statutory Authority: 1983 c 194 § 18. WSR 84-01-042 (Order 83-08), § 67-25-020, filed 12/15/83. Formerly WAC 67-20-020.]