Section 504—Clothes dryer exhaust.
504.4 Exhaust installation. Dryer exhaust ducts for clothes dryers shall terminate on the outside of the building and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper located where the duct terminates. Dryer exhaust ducts may terminate at exterior wall louvers with openings spaced not less than 1/2-inch in any direction.
Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. Ducts shall not be connected or installed with sheet metal screws or other fasteners that will obstruct the exhaust flow. Clothes dryer exhaust ducts shall not be connected to a vent connector, vent or chimney. Clothes dryer exhaust ducts shall not extend into or through ducts or plenums.
Domestic dryer exhaust ducts may terminate at a common location where each duct has an independent back-draft damper.
504.10 Common exhaust systems for clothes dryers located in multistory structures. Where a common multistory duct system is designed and installed to convey exhaust from multiple clothes dryers, the construction of the system shall be in accordance with all of the following:
1. The shaft in which the duct is installed shall be constructed and fire-resistance rated as required by the International Building Code.
2. Dampers shall be prohibited in the exhaust duct. Penetrations of the shaft and ductwork shall be protected in accordance with Section 607.5.5, Exception 2.
3. Rigid metal ductwork shall be installed within the shaft to convey the exhaust. The ductwork shall be constructed of sheet steel having a minimum thickness of 0.0187 inch (0.4712 mm) (No. 26 gage) and in accordance with SMACNA Duct Construction Standards.
4. The ductwork within the shaft shall be designed and installed without offsets.
5. The exhaust fan motor design shall be in accordance with Section 503.2.
6. The exhaust fan motor shall be located outside of the airstream.
7. The exhaust fan shall run continuously, and shall be connected to a standby power source.
8. Exhaust fan operation shall be monitored in an approved location and shall initiate an audible or visual signal when the fan is not in operation.
9. Makeup air shall be provided for the exhaust system to maintain the minimum flow for the exhaust fan when the dryers are not operating. Additionally, makeup air shall be provided when required by Section 504.5.
10. A cleanout opening shall be located at the base of the shaft to provide access to the duct to allow for cleaning and inspection. The finished opening shall be not less than 12 inches by 12 inches (305 mm by 305 mm).
11. Screens shall not be installed at the termination.
12. The common multistory duct system shall serve only clothes dryers and shall be independent of other exhaust systems.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.031
. WSR 16-01-148, § 51-52-0504, filed 12/21/15, effective 7/1/16. Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.031
and chapters 19.27
RCW. WSR 13-04-053, § 51-52-0504, filed 2/1/13, effective 7/1/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.190
and chapters 19.27
RCW. WSR 10-03-099, § 51-52-0504, filed 1/20/10, effective 7/1/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.190
, and chapters 19.27
RCW. WSR 07-01-092, § 51-52-0504, filed 12/19/06, effective 7/1/07.]