To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Statewide definition of excused and unexcused daily absences.
Excused daily absences
The following are valid excuses for absences from school:
(1) Participation in a district or school approved activity or instructional program;
(2) Illness, health condition or medical appointment (including, but not limited to, medical, counseling, dental or optometry) for the student or person for who the student is legally responsible;
(3) Family emergency including, but not limited to, a death or illness in the family;
(4) Religious or cultural purpose including observance of a religious or cultural holiday or participation in religious or cultural instruction;
(5) Court, judicial proceeding, or serving on a jury;
(6) Post-secondary, technical school or apprenticeship program visitation, or scholarship interview;
(7) State-recognized search and rescue activities consistent with RCW 28A.225.055
(8) Absence directly related to the student's homeless status;
(9) Absences related to deployment activities of a parent or legal guardian who is an active duty member consistent with RCW 28A.705.010
(10) Absence resulting from a disciplinary/corrective action (e.g., short-term or long-term suspension, emergency expulsion); and
(11) Principal (or designee) and parent, guardian, or emancipated youth mutually agreed upon approved activity.
The school principal (or designee) has the authority to determine if an absence meets the above criteria for an excused absence.
Unexcused daily absences
Any absence from school is unexcused unless it meets one of the criteria above for an excused absence.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.300.046
. WSR 12-17-051, § 392-400-325, filed 8/9/12, effective 9/9/12.]