To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Amateur radio operator special license plates.
(1) Who may apply for amateur radio operator vehicle special license plate(s)? Any person having a valid amateur radio operator's license may apply to the department for license plates bearing the official amateur radio call letters assigned by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). These plates are in lieu of regular issue license plates. The department will issue only one set of plates at any one time carrying these call letters.
(2) What documents are required to receive an amateur radio operator vehicle special license plate? In addition to all other license fees required by law, the amateur radio operator must attach a copy of the current FCC license to the application. The operator must notify the department when the FCC license is canceled or expires and whether or not the operator has renewed the license. If the license has been renewed, the operator must send a copy of the new FCC license to the department.
(3) How will the amateur radio operator license plates be displayed?
The amateur radio operator license plates must be displayed on a motor vehicle owned by the amateur radio operator unless the plates were issued and assigned to a vehicle prior to January 1, 1991. Prior to the January 1, 1991, date, the amateur radio operator license plates are allowed to be installed on any motor vehicle qualified under RCW 46.18.205
(4) Are there any special fees required to obtain the amateur radio operator license plates?
In addition to all other license fees required by law, each applicant for amateur radio operator license plates must pay an additional license plate fee of five dollars for the plate and applicable fees as stated in RCW 46.17.200
any time the plates are transferred to another vehicle.
(5) When are the amateur radio operator special license plates canceled?
The effective date of the plate cancellation is the date the FCC license becomes invalid. Reinstatement of the plates requires the amateur radio operator to reapply for the plates, providing a copy of the valid FCC license and paying the five-dollar fee for a new plate and applicable fees as stated in RCW 46.17.200
(6) Are there any FCC operator special license plates that will not be issued? Yes, if the call sign has WSP as part of the number letter combination.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 15-10-005, § 308-96A-070, filed 4/22/15, effective 5/23/15. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 07-20-112, § 308-96A-070, filed 10/3/07, effective 11/3/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 04-18-023, § 308-96A-070, filed 8/24/04, effective 9/24/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 01-10-069, § 308-96A-070, filed 4/30/01, effective 5/31/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 98-09-024, § 308-96A-070, filed 4/8/98, effective 5/9/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 91-04-025, § 308-96A-070, filed 1/29/91, effective 3/1/91; Order MV-328, § 308-96A-070, filed 7/24/75.]