Terms used in chapter 46.16A
RCW and this chapter will have the following meanings except where otherwise defined, and where the context clearly indicates the contrary:
(1) "Application" means a form provided or approved by the department to apply for different types of services and documents.
(2) "Cab and chassis" is an incomplete vehicle manufactured and sold with only a cab, frame and running gear. (WAC 308-96A-145
(3) "Certificate of license registration" means a document issued by the department and required by RCW 46.16A.180
to be carried in the vehicle to operate legally on the roadways of Washington and described in RCW 46.12.540
(4) "Chattel lien" is a process by which a person may sell or take ownership of a vehicle when:
(a) They provide services or materials for a vehicle at the request of the registered owner; and
(b) The person who provided the services and/or materials has not been compensated.
(5) "Confidential" and "undercover" license plates have the same meaning as provided in RCW 46.04.142
(6) "Current year" means the current registration year unless otherwise stated. (WAC 308-96A-260
(7) "Exception reports" means the main source of communication between jurisdictions and the department of licensing as computer reports that must be used by the jurisdiction to correct errors they have submitted to the department. Reports are received by all participating jurisdictions, whether processing vehicle violations manually or electronically.
(8) "Expiration day and month."
(a) "Date of expiration" or "expiration date" means the day of the month on which the vehicle registration, gross weight license, decal or tabs expire.
(b) "Month of expiration" or "expiration month" means the calendar month during which a registration period ends. (WAC 308-96A-260
(9) "Fleet" means a group of vehicles registered in the same owner name and which have been assigned the same fleet identifier code by the department.
(10) "Gross weight," "declared gross weight," and "tonnage" mean gross weight defined in RCW 46.16A.455
, 46.16A.425, 46.04.140 and chapter 46.44
(11) "Identification card" means the identification card referred to in RCW 46.19.010
for disabled parking privileges and is used for identification of persons with disabilities.
(12) "Indian country" means all lands, notwithstanding the issuance of any patent, within the exterior boundaries set aside by the United States for the use and occupancy of Indian tribes by treaty, law or executive order and which are areas currently recognized as "Indian country" by the United States Department of the Interior as referenced in 18 U.S.C. 1151 and C.F.R. 25.
(13) "Indian tribe" means a Washington Indian nation, tribe, band, or community recognized as an "Indian tribe" by the United States Department of the Interior.
(14) "Indian" means a person on the tribal rolls of the Washington Indian tribe occupying Indian country.
(15) "Individual with disabilities parking placard expiration date" means the last day of the month as specified on the department placard.
(16) "Jurisdiction" as used in the vehicle violation system means any district, municipal, justice, superior court, Washington state department of transportation, or authorized representative of one of these entities.
(17) "Jurisdiction seal" means an embossed seal or stamp provided by the jurisdiction to authenticate documents provided by jurisdictions.
(18) "Landlord's lien" for rent is a process by which a landlord may sell or take ownership of a tenant's vehicle as security for rent due.
(19) "License or licensing" and "register or registering" are synonymous and mean the act of registering a vehicle under chapter 46.16A
(20) "License fee" means the fees required for the act of licensing a vehicle under chapter 46.17
RCW. License fee does not include license plate fees identified as taxes, and fees collected by the department for other jurisdictions.
(21) "Licensed physician" for the purpose of individual with disabilities parking privileges, means: Chiropractic physicians, naturopaths, medical doctors, osteopathic physicians, podiatric physicians, and advanced registered nurse practitioners. Licensed physician does not include persons licensed in the professions of dentistry and optometry. (RCW 46.19.010
(22) "Municipality" in reference to parking tickets, means every court having jurisdiction over offenses committed under RCW 46.20.270
(23) "NCIC number" means the numeric code assigned by the National Crime Information Center to identify a jurisdiction.
(24) "One hundred twenty-day notice" in reference to vehicle violations means a notice of vehicle violations that must be satisfied prior to the registration renewal date. (RCW 46.16A.120
(25) "Vehicle violation disposition" means the requested action as determined by the jurisdiction to add failure-to-pay vehicle violations, or to remove paid vehicle violations from a vehicle record. (RCW 46.16A.120
(26) "Vehicle violation" means any standing, stopping, toll nonpayment civil penalty, automated traffic safety camera infractions, or vehicle violation per RCW 46.20.270
(27) "Vehicle violation list" means a computerized list containing all outstanding vehicle violations, which have been processed by the department. (RCW 46.16A.120
(28) "Permanent" in reference to individual with disabilities parking privileges, means a licensed physician has certified that a qualifying condition is expected to last at least five years. (RCW 46.19.010
. WAC 308-96A-306
(29) "Permanent fleet" means a group of fifty or more vehicles registered in the same owner(s) name and which have been assigned the same fleet identifier code by the department and has an expiration date of December 31st of each year. (WAC 308-96A-161
(30) "Permit" in reference to individual with disabilities parking privileges means the proof provided by the department in the form of placard(s), special license plate(s) and an identification card indicating eligibility for individual with disabilities parking privileges. (RCW 46.19.010
(31) "Personal use vehicle" in reference to disabled veteran's, prisoners of war and congressional medal of honor plates, means vehicles not used for commercial purpose including: Passenger vehicles, motor homes, motorcycles, and trucks with designated gross vehicle weight not exceeding twelve thousand pounds. Registration ownership must be in the name of the individual and not in the business name. (WAC 308-96A-046
(32) "Placard" is an item issued to individuals who qualify for special individual with disabilities parking privileges under RCW 46.19.010
and are entitled to receive from the department of licensing in the form of a removable windshield placard bearing the international symbol of access and individual serial number.
(33) "Private carriers" means those entities contracting with public transportation authorities to transport persons with disabilities described in RCW 46.19.010
(34) "Privilege" in reference to individual with disabilities parking privileges means permission to utilize the benefits associated with the permit. (RCW 46.19.010
, 46.61.582 and chapter 70.84
RCW (July 1, 2011, version). WAC 308-96A-306
(35) "Public transportation authorities" means those entities operating motor vehicles owned or leased by Washington state, or a town, city, county, municipality, or metropolitan or municipal corporation within the state, or United States government agencies or Indian nations used for the primary purpose of transporting persons with disabilities described in RCW 46.19.010
(36) "Regular fleet" means a group of five or more vehicles registered in the same owner(s) name and which have been assigned the same fleet identifier code by the department and has an expiration date of December 31st of each year. (WAC 308-96A-161
(37) "Salvage title" means a certificate of title issued by another jurisdiction designating a motor vehicle as a "salvage vehicle."
(38) "Self-storage facilities lien" is a process by which the owner of a self-storage facility may sell a vehicle stored at the facility as security for rent or other charges due.
(39) "Signature" means any memorandum, mark, sign or subscriptions made with intent to authenticate an application. (RCW 9A.04.110
(40) "Unprocessed" as used in vehicle violation system means an update of the computer record has not occurred.
(41) "Use classes" means those vehicles described in WAC 308-96A-099
(42) "Vehicle data base record" means the electronic record stored on the department's motor vehicle data base reflecting vehicle and ownership information.
(43) "Vehicle/vessel report of sale" means a document or electronic record transaction that when properly filed protects the seller of a vehicle/vessel from certain criminal and civil liabilities arising from use of the vehicle/vessel by another person after the vehicle/vessel has been sold or a change in ownership has occurred.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 11-17-111, § 308-96A-005, filed 8/23/11, effective 9/23/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.010
. WSR 06-21-027, § 308-96A-005, filed 10/9/06, effective 11/9/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.381
. WSR 04-14-077, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/6/04, effective 8/6/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.1110
, 46.16.135, 46.16.225, 46.16.490, 46.17.276. WSR 02-17-024, § 308-96A-005, filed 8/12/02, effective 9/12/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
, 46.16.135, 18.104.22.168 [46.16.225], 46.16.490, and 46.16.276. WSR 01-17-017, § 308-96A-005, filed 8/3/01, effective 9/3/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
, 46.16.135, 46.16.225, 46.16.490, 46.17.276. WSR 00-09-008, § 308-96A-005, filed 4/6/00, effective 5/7/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 97-10-003, § 308-96A-005, filed 4/24/97, effective 5/25/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
, 1993 c 488 and chapter 46.12
RCW. WSR 94-17-044, § 308-96A-005, filed 8/10/94, effective 9/10/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 93-14-083, § 308-96A-005, filed 6/30/93, effective 7/31/93; WSR 92-15-025, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/6/92, effective 8/6/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.17.060
, 46.01.060, 46.16.070 and 46.16.135. WSR 92-02-100, § 308-96A-005, filed 1/2/92, effective 2/2/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
and 46.16.335. WSR 91-15-006, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/8/91, effective 8/8/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.600
, 46.16.276 and 46.01.110. WSR 87-12-023 (Order TL/RG-34), § 308-96A-005, filed 5/28/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.135
, 46.16.225, 46.16.490 and 46.01.110. WSR 86-10-040 (Order TL/RG 24), § 308-96A-005, filed 5/5/86; Order MV-355, § 308-96A-005, filed 5/10/76; Order MV-328, § 308-96A-005, filed 7/24/75.]