(1) What vehicle record owner information is protected from disclosure?
Vehicle information protected from disclosure is the same as under chapters 42.56
RCW, and 18 U.S.C. 2721.
(2) Who may receive disclosure of individual vehicle owner names and addresses?
(a) Government agencies;
(b) Businesses that require the information in their normal course of conducting business;
(c) Vehicle manufacturers that require vehicle ownership information for recall of their product;
(d) Individuals who provide proof of personal identification:
(i) For vehicles currently registered in their name; or
(ii) For vehicles for which they can provide a bill of sale or acceptable documents indicating they purchased the vehicle.
(e) Please see subsection (3) of this section for additional restrictions.
Business and government agencies requesting disclosure of individual vehicle owner names and addresses must enter into a disclosure agreement with the department.
(3) When both a mailing and residence address are recorded on the vehicle record, which address will be disclosed? When both a mailing address and residence address are recorded on the vehicle record and are different, only the mailing address will be disclosed. Both addresses will be disclosed in response to requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, or government agencies with enforcement, investigative, or taxing authority and only for use in the normal course of conducting business.
(4) What documentation does the department require to disclose vehicle owner name(s) and address(es)? The department requires:
(a) A signed vehicle/vessel record disclosure request form provided by the department and completed by the requestor indicating the specific purpose for which the information will be used; and
(b) A disclosure agreement with the department as required by RCW 46.12.380
(c) Acceptable business verification; or
(d) A contract with the department.
(5) What is acceptable business verification? For purposes of this section, acceptable business verification includes:
(a) If the requester is a licensed Washington business, a copy of its current master business license;
(b) If the requester is a business that is not required to be licensed in this state, its federal employer identification number/federal tax number (or Uniform Business Identifier) on official letterhead with a signature of the owner or an authorized representative;
(c) If an attorney, a copy of the current bar card; or
(d) If a private investigator, a copy of the current private investigator's license.
(6) Does a business need to supply a new form and copy of the business license each time vehicle information is requested? Yes, each time a request is made for vehicle information a new form and copy of the business license is needed, unless an unexpired contract exists between the business and the department.
(7) Are businesses allowed individual owner information on vehicle records?
Yes, if a business requires individual owner information to conduct its normal business and qualifies under RCW 46.12.380
and 18 U.S.C. 2721 (commonly known as Driver Privacy Protection Act), it may receive individual vehicle owner information.
(8) Who may release the vehicle owner name and address information?
(a) The public disclosure unit of the driver and vehicle services division of the department of licensing; or
(b) Agents and subagents, but only when disclosing information for purposes described in subsection (2)(d) of this section.
(9) When may the department disclose the individual name(s) and address(es) of vehicle owners?
Notwithstanding the provisions of chapters 42.56
RCW, and 18 U.S.C. 2721 the department may disclose names and addresses of vehicle owners when:
(a) The requesting party is a business that requests the information for use in their normal course of business;
(b) The request is in writing, signed by the person requesting disclosure, contains the full legal name and address of the requesting party and/or their business, and specifies the purpose for which the information will be used; and
(c) The requesting party enters into a disclosure agreement with the department in which the parties: Agree they will use the information only for the purpose stated in the request for the information.
(10) Is the department required to notify the vehicle owner when ownership information is disclosed? When the department grants a request from an attorney or private investigator for information under this section, the department will provide notice to the vehicle owner that the request has been granted. The notice will provide the name and address of the requesting party. Additionally, if a contract holder releases owner information to a private investigator or attorney, they must notify the vehicle owner that a request has been granted, and include the name and address of the requesting party and provide a copy to the department's public disclosure unit.
(11) Who is responsible for assuring that the information is used appropriately? Any person, business, agency or association that receives vehicle owner information under this section is responsible for assuring, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of Washington, that the information received is not used for a purpose contrary to the agreement between the person, business, agency or association and the department.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.276
and 46.01.110. WSR 10-11-030, § 308-56A-090, filed 5/11/10, effective 6/11/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
. WSR 06-15-059, § 308-56A-090, filed 7/12/06, effective 8/12/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.16.010
, 46.12.370, and 46.12.380. WSR 05-18-002, § 308-56A-090, filed 8/25/05, effective 9/25/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
, 46.12.101, 88.02.070. WSR 02-01-123, § 308-56A-090, filed 12/19/01, effective 1/19/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
and 46.12.101. WSR 00-20-065, § 308-56A-090, filed 10/3/00, effective 11/3/00; WSR 98-12-099, § 308-56A-090, filed 6/3/98, effective 7/4/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 42.17.250
(1), 46.01.110, 46.12.151 and 46.12.380. WSR 96-03-047, § 308-56A-090, filed 1/11/96, effective 2/11/96. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110
and 88.02.070. WSR 91-03-088, § 308-56A-090, filed 1/18/91, effective 2/18/91.]