• Provide a safe means of access for persons erecting or dismantling scaffolds if it is:
– Feasible; AND
– Does not
create a greater hazard.
• Have a competent person determine the feasibility of providing safe access.
• Make sure the determination is based on site conditions and the type of scaffold being erected or dismantled.
• Install a hook-on or attachable ladder as soon as scaffold erection has progressed to a point where it can be safely installed and used.
• Make sure crossbraces on tubular welded frame scaffolds are not used to access or egress from the scaffold.
• Make sure the frames of tubular welded frame scaffolds that are used as climbing devices meet all of the following:
– Create a usable ladder;
– Provide good hand holds and foot space;
– Have horizontal members that are all of the following:
▪ Spaced not more than twenty two inches apart vertically.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060. 05-01-054, § 296-874-40008, filed 12/7/04, effective 3/1/05.]