(1) The employer must provide each affected employee with head protection according to the following requirements:
(a) Each affected employee wears a protective helmet when working in areas where there is a potential for injury to the head.
(b) Each affected employee wears a protective helmet designed to reduce electrical shock hazards where there is potential for electric shock or burns from contact with exposed electrical conductors that could contact the head.
(2) The employer must ensure that all protective helmets comply with one of the following consensus standards:
• ANSI Z89.1-2003, American National Standard for Industrial Head Protection.
• ANSI Z89.1-1997, American National Standard for Industrial Head Protection.
• ANSI Z89.1-1986, American National Standard for Personnel Protection -- Protective Headwear for Industrial Workers -- Requirements.
Employers may use alternate head protection if they can demonstrate such devices are at least as effective as those constructed in accordance with one of the above consensus standards.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060, and chapter 49.17 RCW. 10-09-088, § 296-304-09011, filed 4/20/10, effective 6/1/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040, [49.17].050 and [49.17].060. 98-02-006, § 296-304-09011, filed 12/26/97, effective 3/1/98.]