For the purpose of these rules:
(1) A "minor" is a person of either gender, employed in agricultural labor, who is under the age of eighteen years.
(2) "Agricultural labor" is defined as services performed:
(a) On a farm, in the employ of any person, in connection with the cultivation of the soil, or in connection with raising or harvesting any agricultural or horticultural commodity, including raising, shearing, feeding, caring for, training, and management of livestock, bees, poultry, and furbearing animals and wildlife, or in the employ of the owner or tenant or other operator of a farm in connection with the operation, management, conservation, improvement, or maintenance of such farm and its tools and equipment; or
(b) In packing, packaging, grading, storing, or delivering to storage, or to market or to a carrier for transportation to market, any agricultural or horticultural commodity; but only if such service is performed as incident to ordinary farming operations.
"Agricultural labor" does not include employment in commercial packing houses, commercial storage establishments, commercial canning, commercial freezing, or any other commercial processing with respect to services performed in connection with the cultivation, raising, harvesting and processing of oysters or raising and harvesting of mushrooms or in connection with any agricultural or horticultural commodity after its delivery to a terminal market for distribution for consumption.
(3) "Department" means the department of labor and industries.
(4) "Director" means the director of the department of labor and industries.
(5) "Employ" means to engage, suffer, or permit to work in agricultural labor.
(6) "Employee" means any person employed by an employer, except those who are members of the immediate family of an employer.
(7) "Employer" means any person, firm, corporation, partnership, business trust, legal representative, or other business entity that engages in any agricultural activity in this state and employs one or more employees.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.30.030. 90-14-038, § 296-131-005, filed 6/29/90, effective 11/1/90.]