(1) To ensure continuing compliance with the statewide articulation plan and standards of nursing education, the commission will survey and reevaluate each nursing education program for continued approval every eight to ten years. More frequent evaluation, including a site visit may occur as deemed necessary by the commission or if requested by the nursing education program.
(2) Any proposed substantive nursing program change must be presented to the commission for approval at least three months prior to implementation. Substantive changes include, but are not limited to, changes in legal status, control, ownership, or resources of the institution; decreases in faculty below that which is required to staff clinical sections of WAC 246-840-570
; changes in faculty composition whereby their expertise is not adequate to teach those areas of nursing described in WAC 246-840-575
; and major curriculum revision or changes in the length of the program.
(3) The program must submit annual reports on forms provided by the commission and on the date specified. EVALUATION OF A NURSING PROGRAM BY THE NATIONAL ACCREDITING BODY:
(4) The commission may accept accreditation by a commission-recognized national nursing accreditation body as evidence of compliance with the standards of nursing education programs. The nursing program must submit to the commission a copy of the self-evaluation report submitted to the national agency.
(a) Programs that seek accreditation from a commission recognized national nursing accreditation body shall file evidence of that accreditation with the commission within thirty days of receiving the report from the accreditation body. The nursing program must file notice of any change in program accreditation status with the commission within thirty days of receipt of notice from the accreditation body. The commission shall grant full approval based upon evidence of accreditation for eight or ten years. Failure to submit notice of accreditation survey results within thirty days may result in a site visit or other sanctions as described in WAC 246-840-530
(b) Programs holding approval based upon national accreditation must comply with WAC 246-840-550
(c) The commission may grant full approval for a continuing period, not to exceed ten years to nursing programs with maximum continuing national accreditation.
(d) The program must submit any interim report requested by the national accrediting body to the commission.
(e) If the nursing program receives notice from the accrediting body addressing interim reports, notice must be sent to the commission within thirty days of receiving the report.
(f) If the program is accredited for less than maximum accreditation, then the program must provide the commission with a copy of the report addressing the items of noncompliance within thirty days of receipt from the accreditation body. The commission may require an additional report regarding noncompliance. EVALUATION OF A NURSING PROGRAM BY THE COMMISSION:
(5) Programs that are not nationally accredited by a commission-recognized national nursing accreditation body are subject to a survey visit made by representative(s) of the commission on dates mutually agreeable to the commission and the nursing education program.
(a) The commission must notify the nurse administrator that a survey visit is required at least twelve months in advance of the visit.
(b) Prior to the survey visit a program shall submit a self-evaluation report that provides evidence of compliance with the standards of nursing education as identified in WAC 246-840-550
(c) Within sixty days, and prior to commission consideration, a draft of the commission survey visit report will be made available to the school for review for corrections in statistical data and for response to issues raised.
(d) Following the commission's review and decision, the commission will send to the program nurse administrator, the president and vice-president for instruction written notification regarding approval of the program.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.79.110 and 18.79.150. 05-12-058, § 246-840-520, filed 5/26/05, effective 6/26/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.79.110. 95-21-072, § 246-840-520, filed 10/16/95, effective 11/16/95.]