(1) A licensed registered nurse or practical nurse must comply with the continuing competency requirements in WAC 246-840-203
. A nurse may place his or her license on inactive status as outlined in WAC 246-12-090
if the nurse does not meet the continuing competency requirements. See WAC 246-840-205
for additional steps on reactivation from inactive status.
(2) The commission will send an audit form requesting documentation of the required continuing competency requirements to the registered nurse or practical nurse being audited at the address on record with the department.
(3) If the commission does not receive the required documentation within thirty calendar days of the commission's original request for documentation, a second request will be sent by the commission to the nurse at the address of record with the department.
(4) If the commission does not receive the required documentation within thirty calendar days following the second request, a third request will be sent to the address of record with the department.
(5) If the commission does not receive the required documentation thirty calendar days following the third letter, the commission shall place the license on inactive status.
(6) If the nurse's documentation does not match the hours in the attestation, technical assistance will be provided. Technical assistance may include providing information on the web site or at stakeholder meetings, and reviewing materials and offering assistance on the telephone.
(7) If the nurse cannot provide the required documentation, the nurse may place his or her license on inactive status according to WAC 246-12-090
(8) If the nurse repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuing competency according to these rules, the nurse may be charged with unprofessional conduct under RCW 18.130.180
, and appropriate disciplinary action will be taken which may include license suspension. License suspension may only occur after a hearing as provided in chapter 34.05
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.79.010 and 18.79.110. 10-24-047, § 246-840-207, filed 11/24/10, effective 1/1/11.]