(1) "Dentist" means an individual applying for a credential or credentialed specifically as defined in chapter 18.32
(2) "Health care information" means any information, whether oral or recorded in any form or medium that identifies or can readily be associated with the identity of, and relates to the health care of, a patient.
(3) "Key party" means a person legally authorized to make health care decisions for the patient.
(4) "Legitimate health care purpose" means activities for examination, diagnosis, treatment, and personal care of patients, including palliative care, as consistent with community standards of practice for the dental profession. The activity must be within the scope of practice of the dentist.
(5) "Patient" means an individual who receives health care services from a dentist. The determination of when a person is a patient is made on a case-by-case basis with consideration given to a number of factors, including the nature, extent and context of the professional relationship between the dentist and the person. The fact that a person is not receiving treatment or professional services is not the sole determining factor.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.0365 and 18.130.050 (1) and (12). 08-01-137, § 246-817-450, filed 12/19/07, effective 1/19/08.]