220-110-180  <<  220-110-190 >>   220-110-200

(Effective until July 1, 2015.)

WAC 220-110-190

Agency filings affecting this section

Water diversions.

A written HPA is not required for emergency water diversions during emergency fire response. The department shall be notified prior to the diversion, when possible. When prior notification is not possible, the department shall be notified within twenty-four hours of the diversion. The hydraulic code cannot be used to limit the amount or timing of water diverted under a water right. However, construction of structures or placement of devices or other work within waters of the state which will use, divert, obstruct, or change the natural flow or bed of any of the salt or fresh waters of the state, or that will utilize any of the waters of the state in order to divert water pursuant to a water right, requires an HPA. Regulation of water flow from a permanent irrigation structure by operating valves, or manipulating stop logs, check boards or head boards, does not require an HPA. Any hydraulic project activity related to a change in the manner or location of water diversion will require an HPA modification.
Persons who have gravel berm dams as the method of diversion permitted by the department prior to January 1994 shall be allowed to continue to do so consistent with the provisions of an HPA. The department can, however, condition the approval of gravel berms.
Construction or maintenance of fish screens or guards requiring use of equipment requires a written HPA. Installation of suction hoses or cleaning, adjusting, operating, and maintaining existing irrigation or stock water diversion structures including intakes or screens without the use of equipment, may be accomplished without first securing a written HPA. For these activities, compliance with the provisions of the latest edition of the Irrigation and Fish pamphlet issued by the department is required. The pamphlet shall be on-site and serve as the HPA. If a fish kill occurs or fish are observed in distress, the project activity shall cease and the department shall be notified immediately.
The following technical provisions shall apply to water diversions:
(1) Gravel berm dams shall be constructed of gravels available on site waterward of the ordinary high water line, or of clean round gravel transported to the site. Bed disturbance shall be limited to the minimum necessary to achieve the provisions of the water right. No dirt from outside the ordinary high water line shall be used to seal the dam and no logs or woody material waterward of the ordinary high water line may be utilized for construction of the dam, unless specifically authorized.
(2) Logs and large woody material may be relocated waterward of the ordinary high water line, if they block water flow into the ditch or inhibit construction.
(3) As long as the applicant or permittee can divert enough water to satisfy the water right, the diversion dam shall be constructed so that it does not hinder upstream and downstream adult and juvenile fish passage. If passage problems develop, department personnel may, after consultation, require modification of the gravel berm dam.
(4) At pump stations, screens and headgate areas, a backhoe or suction dredge may be used to remove accumulated silts and gravel from the pumping sump. Material removed shall be placed so it will not reenter state waters.
(5) Any device used for diverting water from a fish bearing watercourse shall be equipped with a fish guard to prevent passage of fish into the diversion device pursuant to RCW 75.20.040 and 77.16.220.
(6) Diversion canals shall be maintained (sediment and debris removal) to provide maximum hydraulic gradient in the diversion canal in order to minimize the need for work within the natural watercourse.
(7) The exercise of project activity associated with diversion of state waters shall be dependent upon first obtaining a water right.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080. WSR 94-23-058 (Order 94-160), § 220-110-190, filed 11/14/94, effective 12/15/94; WSR 87-15-086 (Order 87-48), § 220-110-190, filed 7/20/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.012, 75.08.080 and 75.20.100. WSR 84-04-047 (Order 84-04), § 220-110-190, filed 1/30/84. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.20.100 and 75.08.080. WSR 83-09-019 (Order 83-25), § 220-110-190, filed 4/13/83.]