(1) A threshold determination is required for any proposal which meets the definition of action and is not categorically exempt, subject to the limitations in WAC 197-11-600
(3) concerning proposals for which a threshold determination has already been issued, or statutorily exempt as provided in chapter 43.21C
RCW. A threshold determination is not required for a planned action (refer to WAC 197-11-164
(2) The responsible official of the lead agency shall make the threshold determination, which shall be made as close as possible to the time an agency has developed or is presented with a proposal (WAC 197-11-784
). If the lead agency is a GMA county/city, that agency must meet the timing requirements in subsection (6) of this section.
(3) The responsible official shall make a threshold determination no later than ninety days after the application and supporting documentation are determined to be complete. The applicant may request an additional thirty days for the threshold determination (RCW 43.21C.033
(4) The time limit in subsection (3) of this section shall not apply to a county/city that:
(a) By ordinance adopted prior to April 1, 1992, has adopted procedures to integrate permit and land use decisions with SEPA requirements; or
(b) Is planning under RCW 36.70A.040
(GMA) and is subject to the requirements of subsection (6) of this section.
(5) All threshold determinations shall be documented in:
(a) A determination of nonsignificance (DNS) (WAC 197-11-340
(b) A determination of significance (DS) (WAC 197-11-360
(6) When a GMA county/city with an integrated project review process under RCW 36.70B.060
is lead agency for a project, the following timing requirements apply:
(a) If a DS is made concurrent with the notice of application, the DS and scoping notice shall be combined with the notice of application (RCW 36.70B.110
). Nothing in this subsection prevents the DS/scoping notice from being issued before the notice of application. If sufficient information is not available to make a threshold determination when the notice of application is issued, the DS may be issued later in the review process.
(b) Nothing in this section prevents a lead agency, when it is a project proponent or is funding a project, from conducting its review under SEPA or from allowing appeals of procedural determinations prior to submitting a project permit application.
(c) If an open record predecision hearing is required, the threshold determination shall be issued at least fifteen days before the open record predecision hearing (RCW 36.70B.110
(d) The optional DNS process in WAC 197-11-355
may be used to indicate on the notice of application that the lead agency is likely to issue a DNS. If this optional process is used, a separate comment period on the DNS may not be required (refer to WAC 197-11-355
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.21A.090, chapter 43.21C RCW, RCW 43.21C.035, 43.21C.037, 43.21C.038, 43.21C.0381, 43.21C.0382, 43.21C.0383, 43.21C.110, 43.21C.222. 03-16-067 (Order 02-12), § 197-11-310, filed 8/1/03, effective 9/1/03. Statutory Authority: 1995 c 347 (ESHB 1724) and RCW 43.21C.110. 97-21-030 (Order 95-16), § 197-11-310, filed 10/10/97, effective 11/10/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.21C.110. 84-05-020 (Order DE 83-39), § 197-11-310, filed 2/10/84, effective 4/4/84.]