Continuing education requirement.
Continuing education requirements are as follows:
(1) Each holder of a continuing certificate affected by this chapter shall be required to complete during a five-year period one hundred fifty continuing education credit hours, as defined in WAC 181-85-025
, prior to the lapse date of the first issue of the continuing certificate and during each five-year period between subsequent lapse dates as calculated in WAC 181-85-100
(2) Individuals holding a valid continuing certificate in subsection (1) of this section may choose to renew the certificate via annual professional growth plans developed since the certificate was issued. Completion of four annual professional growth plans during each five-year period between subsequent lapse dates meets the requirement for renewal. Individuals completing fewer than four annual professional growth plans must complete the necessary continuing education credit hours needed to be the equivalent of one hundred fifty hours to meet the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The professional growth plans must document formalized learning opportunities and professional development activities that relate to the standards and "career level" benchmarks defined in WAC 181-79A-207
for teachers, WAC 181-78A-540
(1) for administrators, or WAC 181-78A-540
(2) for educational staff associates. For educators holding multiple certificates in chapter 181-85
WAC or WAC 181-79A-251
, a professional growth plan for teacher, administrator, or educational staff associate shall meet the requirement for all certificates held by an individual which is affected by this section. Each completed annual professional growth plan shall receive the equivalent of thirty continuing education credit hours.
Individuals may apply their focused evaluation professional growth activities of the evaluation system toward the professional growth plan for certificate renewal.
(3) Provided, That each holder of a continuing or a standard certificate affected by this chapter may present a copy of a valid certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in lieu of the completion of the continuing education credit hours required by this chapter.
(4) Each holder of a continuing school psychologist certificate affected by this chapter may present a copy of a valid National Certified School Psychologist certificate issued by the National Association of School Psychologists in lieu of the completion of the continuing education credit hours required by this chapter.
(5) Beginning September 1, 2014, continuing education or professional growth plans for teachers at the elementary and secondary levels in STEM-related subjects must include a specific focus on the integration of science, mathematics, technology, and/or engineering instruction as per RCW 28A.410.2212
. This renewal requirement applies to the following endorsement areas: Elementary education; early childhood education; middle level mathematics and science; secondary mathematics; secondary science; the designated sciences; and career and technical education. Applications for certificate renewal dated September 1, 2019, and beyond must demonstrate completion of at least fifteen continuing education credit hours, or at least one goal from an annual professional growth plan with an emphasis on the integration of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
(6) Provided, as per RCW 28A.410.278
(2) beginning September 1, 2016, in-service training, continuing education, or professional growth plans shall incorporate professional development on the revised teacher and principal evaluation systems under RCW 28A.405.100
as a requirement for renewal of continuing or professional level certificates. Applications for certificate renewal dated September 1, 2019, and beyond for all teachers, principals, program administrators, and superintendents with continuing certificates must document completion of at least fifteen clock hours, or at least one goal from an annual professional growth plan, related to knowledge and competency of the teacher and principal evaluation criteria or system.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410
RCW and RCW 28A.410.278
. WSR 16-23-036, § 181-85-075, filed 11/8/16, effective 12/9/16; WSR 16-07-095, § 181-85-075, filed 3/18/16, effective 4/18/16. Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410
RCW and RCW 28A.410.2212
. WSR 14-24-060, § 181-85-075, filed 11/25/14, effective 12/26/14; WSR 14-16-069, § 181-85-075, filed 7/31/14, effective 8/31/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.210
. WSR 13-16-077, § 181-85-075, filed 8/6/13, effective 9/6/13; WSR 12-17-012, § 181-85-075, filed 8/2/12, effective 9/2/12; WSR 06-14-010, § 181-85-075, filed 6/22/06, effective 7/23/06. WSR 06-02-051, recodified as § 181-85-075, filed 12/29/05, effective 1/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010
. WSR 05-19-104, § 180-85-075, filed 9/20/05, effective 10/21/05; WSR 02-14-112, § 180-85-075, filed 7/2/02, effective 8/2/02; WSR 02-04-017, § 180-85-075, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02; WSR 01-09-004, § 180-85-075, filed 4/5/01, effective 5/6/01; WSR 99-14-010, § 180-85-075, filed 6/24/99, effective 7/25/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130
(1) and (2), 28A.410.010
(4). WSR 99-01-174, § 180-85-075, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.70.005
. WSR 89-01-043 (Order 28-88), § 180-85-075, filed 12/14/88; WSR 86-13-018 (Order 8-86), § 180-85-075, filed 6/10/86.]