170-295-2060  <<  170-295-2070 >>   170-295-2080

What do I need to transport the children on offsite trips?

(1) You may transport a child or permit the child to travel offsite only with written parental consent. The purpose may be to attend school, participate in supervised field trips, or engage in other supervised offsite activities.
(2) The parent's consent may be:
(a) For a specific date or trip; or
(b) A blanket authorization describing the full range of trips the child may take. If you use a blanket authorization, you must notify the parent in writing at least twenty-four hours in advance about any specific trip.
(3) When transportation is provided by the center for children in care:
(a) The driver must have a valid Washington state driver's license to operate the type of vehicle being driven;
(b) The number of passengers cannot exceed the seating capacity of the vehicle;
(c) Either the center owner or the driver must have liability and medical insurance; and
(d) The driver, parent volunteer, or staff supervising the children being transported in each vehicle must have written documentation on file of current CPR and first-aid training.
(4) When you transport children, the vehicle used must:
(a) Have a current license and registration according to Washington state transportation laws;
(b) Be maintained in good repair and safe operating condition; and
(c) Be equipped with:
(i) At least one first-aid kit that meets the requirements of WAC 170-295-5010;
(ii) Vehicle emergency reflective triangles or other devices to alert other drivers of an emergency;
(iii) The health history and emergency information for each child in the vehicle; and
(iv) A method to call for emergency help.
(5) You must meet the child passenger restraint system requirements in RCW 46.61.687 when transporting children. Contact your local state patrol office for more information.
(6) When you transport children, you must maintain the staff-to-child ratio established for the youngest child in the group; and
(7) Staff or driver must not leave the children unattended in the motor vehicle.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 43.215 RCW and 2006 c 265. WSR 08-08-012, § 170-295-2070, filed 3/19/08, effective 4/19/08. WSR 06-15-075, recodified as § 170-295-2070, filed 7/13/06, effective 7/13/06. Statutory Authority: Chapters 74.12 and 74.15 RCW. WSR 03-14-110, § 388-295-2070, filed 6/30/03, effective 8/1/03.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group