To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
As used in this chapter, the following words and phrases shall be defined as follows:
(1) Academic dishonesty means plagiarism, misrepresentation of self or student work product or representation of work of others as your own, or other acts of academic dishonesty.
(2) Alcoholic beverages
means beer, wine or hard liquor as defined in RCW 66.04.010
(15) as now law or hereafter amended.
(3) Arbitrary and capricious refers to willful or unreasonable action, taken without consideration of, or in disregard of, fact or circumstances of a particular case. Where there is room for two reasonable opinions, an action shall not be deemed to be arbitrary or capricious when taken honestly and upon due considerations, however much it may be believed that an erroneous conclusion has been reached.
(4) Assembly means any overt activity engaged in by two or more persons, the object of which is to gain publicity, advocate a view, petition for a cause, or disseminate information.
(5) ASPCFS means the associated students of Pierce College - Fort Steilacoom as defined in the constitution of that body.
(6) ASPCP means the associated students of Pierce College - Puyallup as defined in the constitution of that body.
(7) Board means the board of trustees of Community College District No. 11, state of Washington.
(8) Chancellor means the duly appointed chief executive officer of the district, holding all express or implied authority to carry out the administration and operation of Community College District No. 11.
(9) Cheating includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Use of any unauthorized assistance in taking quizzes, tests, or examinations; writing papers, preparing reports, solving problems, or carrying out other assignments; or
(b) The acquisition, without permission, of tests or other academic material belonging to a member of Pierce College faculty or staff;
(c) Allowing one person to represent another person as the enrolled student in any course;
(d) Representing oneself as another person in any course.
(10) College includes all land, buildings, facilities, and other property in the possession of, or owned, rented, leased, operated, used on behalf of, or controlled by the college.
(11) College disciplinary committees means the judicial bodies provided in this chapter.
(12) College facilities and infrastructure means and includes any and all personal property, real property, or electronic networked systems owned, rented, leased, or operated by or used on behalf of the college or associated students and the board of trustees of Community College District No. 11.
(13) College official includes any person employed by Pierce College District No. 11 performing assigned administrative or professional responsibilities.
(14) Controlled substance
includes any illegal drug or substance as defined in chapter 69.50
RCW as now law or hereafter amended.
(15) Disciplinary sanction means that action taken as a consequence to any violation of the student code of conduct as provided in this chapter.
(16) Faculty means any person hired by Pierce College to conduct one or a combination of instruction, counseling, or library services.
(17) Hate crimes shall mean a criminal offense committed against a person or property, which is motivated, in whole or in part, by the offender's bias against the victim's actual or perceived race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender.
(18) Hazing means any method of initiation into a student organization or living group or any pastime or amusement engaged in with respect to such an organization or living group that causes, or is likely to cause bodily danger or physical harm or serious mental or emotional harm to any student or other person attending any institution of higher education or post secondary institution. Excluded from this definition are "customary athletic events or other similar contests or competitions."
(19) Judicial advisor means a Pierce College official authorized by the vice-president of learning and student success to investigate complaints of alleged conduct violations, determine validity of the complaint, and impose disciplinary sanctions.
(20) Judicial body means the Pierce College disciplinary review committee which is authorized to adjudicate the formal hearing of appeals to disciplinary action imposed by the judicial advisor and determine whether a student has violated the student code of conduct and to recommend imposition of sanctions.
(21) May is used in the permissive sense.
(22) Member of Pierce College community includes any person who is a student, faculty member, staff member, Pierce College official, trustee, guest on a college owned or controlled facility or any other person employed by Pierce College. A person's status in a particular situation shall be determined by the vice-president of learning and student success or vice-president of human resources.
(23) Organization means any number of persons who have complied with the formal requirements for college or student government recognition of clubs or organizations.
(24) Plagiarism includes, but is not limited to, the use, by paraphrase or direct quotation, of the published or unpublished work of another person without full and clear acknowledgment of the source, to include print or electronic means, using recognized and acceptable citation. It also includes the unacknowledged use of materials prepared by another person or agency engaged in the selling of term papers or other academic materials.
(25) Policy is defined as the official, written regulations of Pierce College as found in, but not limited to, the student code of conduct, the Student Handbook, class schedules/bulletins, college catalogs, or the Pierce College web site.
(26) President means the duly appointed chief executive officer of Pierce College - Fort Steilacoom and Pierce College - Puyallup.
(27) Rules and regulations of conduct means those rules contained within this chapter as now exist or which may be hereafter amended, the violation of which subjects a student to disciplinary sanction.
(28) Shall is used in the imperative sense.
(29) Student includes all persons enrolled in courses offered by Pierce College, both full time and part time. Persons who are not officially enrolled for a particular term, but who have a continuing academic relationship with Pierce College are considered "students."
means the definition of trespass as contained in chapter 9A.52
RCW as now law or hereafter amended.
(31) Vice-president of learning and student success means the administrator responsible for instruction and student services and designated by the college president to be responsible for the administration of this chapter.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140
(13). WSR 09-06-001, § 132K-126-040, filed 2/18/09, effective 3/21/09.]