(1) In computing tax there may be deducted from the measure of tax by those engaged in banking, loan, security or other financial businesses, interest received on investments or loans primarily secured by first mortgages or trust deeds on nontransient residential properties.
(2) Interest deductible under this section includes the portion of fees charged to borrowers, including points and loan origination fees, that is recognized over the life of the loan as an adjustment to yield in the taxpayer's books and records according to generally accepted accounting principles.
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) of this section notwithstanding, the following is a nonexclusive list of items that are not deductible under this section:
(a) Fees for specific services such as: Document preparation fees; finder fees; brokerage fees; title examination fees; fees for credit checks; notary fees; loan application fees; interest lock-in fees if the loan is not made; servicing fees; and similar fees or amounts;
(b) Fees received in consideration for an agreement to make funds available for a specific period of time at specified terms, commonly referred to as commitment fees;
(c) Any other fees, or portion of a fee, that is not recognized over the life of the loan as an adjustment to yield in the taxpayer's books and records according to generally accepted accounting principles;
(d) Gains on the sale of valuable rights such as service release premiums, which are amounts received when servicing rights are sold; and
(e) Gains on the sale of loans, except deferred loan origination fees and points deductible under subsection (2) of this section, are not to be considered part of the proceeds of sale of the loan.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, in computing tax there may be deducted from the measure of tax by those engaged in banking, loan, security, or other financial businesses, amounts received for servicing loans primarily secured by first mortgages or trust deeds on nontransient residential properties, including such loans that secure mortgage-backed or mortgage-related securities, but only if:
(a)(i) The loans were originated by the person claiming a deduction under this subsection (4) and that person either sold the loans on the secondary market or securitized the loans and sold the securities on the secondary market; or
(ii)(A) The person claiming a deduction under this subsection (4) acquired the loans from the person that originated the loans through a merger or acquisition of substantially all of the assets of the person who originated the loans, or the person claiming a deduction under this subsection (4) is affiliated with the person that originated the loans. For purposes of this subsection, "affiliated" means under common control. "Control" means the possession, directly or indirectly, of more than fifty percent of the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of a person, whether through the ownership of voting shares, by contract, or otherwise; and
(B) Either the person who originated the loans or the person claiming a deduction under this subsection (4) sold the loans on the secondary market or securitized the loans and sold the securities on the secondary market; and
(b) The amounts received for servicing the loans are determined by a percentage of the interest paid by the borrower and are only received if the borrower makes interest payments.
(5) The deductions provided in this section do not apply to persons subject to tax under RCW 82.04.29005
(6) By June 30, 2015, the joint legislative audit and review committee must review the deductions provided in this section in accordance with RCW 43.136.055
and make a recommendation as to whether the deductions should be continued without modification, modified, or terminated immediately.
Pursuant to RCW 43.135.041
, chapter 6, Laws of 2012 2nd special session was subject to an advisory vote of the people in the November 2012 general election on whether the tax increase in such session law should be maintained or repealed. The advisory vote was in favor of repeal.
Existing rights, liabilities, or obligations—Effective dates—Contingent effective dates—2012 2nd sp.s. c 6:
See notes following RCW 82.04.29005
Effective date—2010 1st sp.s. c 23:
"Parts III and XIII and sections 101 through 106, 108 through 112, 501 through 503, 505, 507, 510 through 514, 516 through 519, 901, 903 through 911, and 1201 of this act are necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and take effect June 1, 2010." [ 2010 1st sp.s. c 23 § 1709.
Findings—Intent—2010 1st sp.s. c 23:
See notes following RCW 82.04.220
Intent—1980 c 37:
See note following RCW 82.04.4281